Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
wipe out on rifle stock >

wipe out on rifle stock

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

wipe out on rifle stock

Old 03-27-2010, 04:01 AM
Fork Horn

Everyone makes mistakes. Buy a bore guide to better control your cleaning process. I never used wipe out and don't plan on it. I clean my guns in a vice and lay a hand towel over the stock to protect it. Use rubber bands to keep the towel on the stock if you must. Acetone and gun finishes just don't go together.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:18 PM
Fork Horn

I took my gun to the gunsmith the other day and talked to him yesterday and he said it is coming out good. He wants to keep it for a few more days and should be alright. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers but i just freaked when this happened. I spoke out of anger. I know I was the driver behind the wheel and will take the blame for 90% but I still feel they could make the tube a little smaller to go into the barrel. But my apologies are hopefully granted.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

You'll wear out your shoulder and several replacement ones trying to get heavy copper fouling out of a barrel with Hoppe's #9............
Old 03-28-2010, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

thinkin copper is what is trying to be removed here. ya might oughta think about doin yours if you never have.

Originally Posted by daddywpb
Boresnakes are the best things to hit the firearms market in a lot of years. A little Hoppes #9 on the bristles, and a couple squirts of WD-40 on the rest of it, and in a couple of passes you've got a clean bore. Rifle, shotgun, handgun - I use Boresnakes on all of 'em. Us shooters and hunters are a gullable bunch. We're willing to buy anything that says its "better". As an example, just look at all the camo at one of the big retailers. I just laugh when I see all the cleaning products on the shelves now, and laugh even harder when I see the prices. To people just geting involved in the sport, my advise would be to keep it simple. Don't waste money on gimmicks. Some Hoppes, WD-40, the right Boresnake, a toothbrush and a soft cotton rag is all you will need.

gonewest - anyone can make a mistake. Hopefully it isn't too bad. I know what that first blemish on a new stock feels like. A good rule of thumb is to keep any kind of oil or solvent off the stock as much as possible. I don't know about all the new products, but Hoppes #9 is very forgiving of wood and finishes.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Pawildman
You'll wear out your shoulder and several replacement ones trying to get heavy copper fouling out of a barrel with Hoppe's #9............

doh, i shoulda read a couple more ...i was thinkin the same thing.