Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
VX-3 vs VX-III >

VX-3 vs VX-III

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

VX-3 vs VX-III

Old 03-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mauser06
there seems to be a little confusion...

the oldest models are VARI-X III

then came VX-III

now released in 2009 is the "VX-3"

thats my question...is it worth the extra cash to buy the new VX-3 opposed to saving 100-150$ by buying the used VX-III...

im only 23...i figure i'll have this scope forever...so if the newest VX-3s are worth the extra money and they are a better scope, i'll buy the new one and be happy...

really thats all they say is "Xtended twilight lenses" and blackened lense edges...reality tells me its a VX-III and if i cant see through it, its gotta be much to dark to see the critter let alone think about taking the shot...

i let a bruiser walk one year...it was BLACK out...full moon but a good hour before legal shooting light which is still too dark to shoot most days...anyways, i threw up the mauser with a old vari-x II just to do it...i KNEW it was a brusier as the moonlight was shining on his rack...i could have drilled him no question about it...he came back about 1030...caught me off gaurd and i never rifle hunted from a stand...instinct said DEER! stand up! (from bow hunting) and i never got the shot...kid killed it a few days later...he was a bruiser...

so i think i better just snag the VX-III...save me a good 125 or so easily...and even if it is scratched up or doesnt work, it goes back to Leupold...not a big deal...

i think that'll make a real nice scope on the 7600...a shade smaller than your typical 3-9x40...but im really not going to loose FOV or my objective like i would goin down to a 28-32mm objective on the smaller scopes.....i primarily hunt by drives...shots can be quick...and are usually close...both eyes open scope on a real low setting...bear it wont leave 2.5x...deer i might set it on 3 or 4 if im sitting on the drive..

it'll be my first VX-III...i got a vari-x II and a VX-II(which supposedly has the same lenses as the old vari-x IIIs had)...so it'll be interesting to see the difference if there is one...i cant tell my current 2 apart....i think alot of it is sales and marketing...try to get guys to buy the new ones and quit buying the old ones...

and like nc said, most people likely cant see the difference if there is one...and like we said, if you cant see through any good rifle scope, you likely shouldnt be shooting and most times its illegal to do so anyways...

Sorry about the confusion, I had to get into my gun safe just to see what I had after I read your reply. I have the Vari X-III and the VX-III scopes. I do like both models & I do think they were money well spent.

Good Luck Hunting,

WK