Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Winchester Model 70 Coyote >

Winchester Model 70 Coyote

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Winchester Model 70 Coyote

Old 05-01-2006, 07:46 PM

Default Winchester Model 70 Coyote

Well, my dads 50th birthday is next week and my family has been looking to get him something nice. We were in Sportsmans Warehouse the other day and this gun just stuck out to me. He said he always wanted something bigger than his .270, and they had a Winchester Model 70 Coyote in .300 WSM. Needless to say we bought it for him. I cant say how beautiful it is without pictures, a stainless barrel and laminated stock, just amazing. Well anyways, it has an adjustable trigger and a heavy bull barrel with a recessed crown, so it should be real accurate. Has anyone had any real world experience with this gun? Hopefully it shoots as good as it looks, he wont get it till Sunday though. I've added a picture, and heres a link to the site: http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/catalog/detail.asp?cat_id=535&type_id=031&cat=001C

Old 05-01-2006, 08:08 PM
Banned

Default RE: Winchester Model 70 Coyote

Those are sweet. Is he going to bench shoot that gun? I have heavy laminate bull barrel varmint guns but I don't lug them very far to make a coyote set. I hope you didn't get it for him for a bigame wilderness elk hunt. That is a great bench gun or short distance carry gun.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:19 PM

Most of the deer hunting here in Texas is in a blind, so we dont walk that far. I know the .300 WSM is going to blow the deer apart though [8D]Dont have many elk here to hunt, and certainly dont have the money to chase after them. Oh well, if he wants to go to Africa or something, he'll have to give me the gun and get a new one!
Old 05-01-2006, 08:31 PM
bigcountry

I know some folks with them. They all requred some work on them to make them good shooters. One had to be handloaded for but evenually found something that worked. Needed some glass installed in them or pillars installed.

Old 05-01-2006, 08:40 PM

Well good thing we reload, I sure hope its a shooter! Why would they need glass or pillar bed, since it is free floated? Dont fix something that aint broke.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Are you saying that he has to chase deer after hitting them with the 270??
Old 05-01-2006, 09:13 PM

Huh? No, not at all, Im rather confused now. I said he doesnt have the money to chase after elk, i.e. leave the state and hire a guide. Also I said that the .300 WSM is a huge caliber for the small deer we have down here, as most are about 150 lbs. on the hoof. My .243 is more than capable of putting them down with no chase involved whatsoever.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sharp looking guns. The local gun store has kept one or two in stock, and they sure do seem to catch my eye everytime I walk by.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:41 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Aggiehunter

Well good thing we reload, I sure hope its a shooter! Why would they need glass or pillar bed, since it is free floated? Dont fix something that aint broke.
Glass bedding/pillar beddingand free floating are two different things.

You glass bed guns to make the action fit a particular stock perfectly so after a shot, the action does not move in relation to the stock which hurts accuracy. You free float a barrel to make sure that there is no upward pressure to cause shot stringing. Ones I have experience with, the action does not fit the stock well. Pillar bedding does relatively the same thing but gives a solid fit to the stock. I like pillar bedding but don't like the cost. Free floating just opens barrel channel so theres no contact.

bud you ask for opinions, I was giving you my experience with them. I mean you haven't even shot the gun yet, so you don't know if its broken or not.

Old 05-02-2006, 10:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sorry, I must have read it wrong. I always liked the Coyote. I never got around to try one though. I almost bought one in 25 WSSM but decided to pass. I just got the Stainlesss Savage Varmit model in 270 WSM. I bet your dad would love it.

Quick Reply: Winchester Model 70 Coyote

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.