Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
VX-3 vs VX-III >

VX-3 vs VX-III

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

VX-3 vs VX-III

Old 03-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default VX-3 vs VX-III

so i have a chance to buy a very lightly used VX-III 2.5-8x36 for 275 or so to my door....

they sell for over 100$ more new...and its a Leupold..so not afraid to buy used...

just wondering...if the "new" VX-3 line up any better/noticeably better than the VX-IIIs?? guy was honest..says its about 6yrs old...but he rarely used that rifle as he got a bunch of others...which is why hes selling it...said it might have seen a box or 2 of shells...got ring marks but thats not a big deal...

what do y'all think??? if the VX-3s that are "new and improved" that much better, i'll spend the extra money as this is a scope i'll always have around....right now i want it on my 7600 35whelen... i think it'll be about perfect sized for that rifle and not giving up much in the objective and FOV...

so buy it? spend the extra money coz the new VX-3s are better...???

kinda hard to improve on the VX-III line though id think?? so i came here for good advise...
Old 03-12-2010, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

I've got 'em both (lots of 'em) and can't tell the difference in the Vari X-lll's. Buy the scope, it's a good deal.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats the same scope i have on my 7-08 , I love it, 275$ is a good deal

edit- re read your post, i have the vx3, i had a "vari x III" a while back too ,the only differance I can tell was the adjustment knobs, vx3 is finger adjustable, vari was a slot style. both are good glass , have the conquest too on my savage .50, and the glass is noticeably more clear, but its also much bigger and heavier.

Last edited by DeerandbearhoG; 03-12-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you were gonna pay the extra $$ for the vx-3 I'd just go ahead and get a Zeiss Conquest, otherwise I'd save the cash and get that vx-III
Old 03-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Something else to consider...How old are you??? If you are 45 or so, it don't matter as the eye just won't dialate as large as it did when you were younger, a better light gathering scope won't help that...

My brother had a VX-III maybe 10 years ago, I had a VX-II...One evening I took both hunting and frankly I couldn't tell the difference...

Here in NC legal shooting ends at sundown and either will get you a ticket if you wait until you can't see to shoot...
Old 03-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do not own the new VX-3, but I do own three Vari X-III.
I would buy the used Leupold Vari X-III. I think it is the perfect scope for your 35-Whelen. You will also save yourself some money.

IF you decide not to buy the used Vari X-III? Shoot me a PM I would love to buy it at that price.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

there seems to be a little confusion...

the oldest models are VARI-X III

then came VX-III

now released in 2009 is the "VX-3"

thats my question...is it worth the extra cash to buy the new VX-3 opposed to saving 100-150$ by buying the used VX-III...

im only 23...i figure i'll have this scope forever...so if the newest VX-3s are worth the extra money and they are a better scope, i'll buy the new one and be happy...

really thats all they say is "Xtended twilight lenses" and blackened lense edges...reality tells me its a VX-III and if i cant see through it, its gotta be much to dark to see the critter let alone think about taking the shot...

i let a bruiser walk one year...it was BLACK out...full moon but a good hour before legal shooting light which is still too dark to shoot most days...anyways, i threw up the mauser with a old vari-x II just to do it...i KNEW it was a brusier as the moonlight was shining on his rack...i could have drilled him no question about it...he came back about 1030...caught me off gaurd and i never rifle hunted from a stand...instinct said DEER! stand up! (from bow hunting) and i never got the shot...kid killed it a few days later...he was a bruiser...

so i think i better just snag the VX-III...save me a good 125 or so easily...and even if it is scratched up or doesnt work, it goes back to Leupold...not a big deal...

i think that'll make a real nice scope on the 7600...a shade smaller than your typical 3-9x40...but im really not going to loose FOV or my objective like i would goin down to a 28-32mm objective on the smaller scopes.....i primarily hunt by drives...shots can be quick...and are usually close...both eyes open scope on a real low setting...bear it wont leave 2.5x...deer i might set it on 3 or 4 if im sitting on the drive..

it'll be my first VX-III...i got a vari-x II and a VX-II(which supposedly has the same lenses as the old vari-x IIIs had)...so it'll be interesting to see the difference if there is one...i cant tell my current 2 apart....i think alot of it is sales and marketing...try to get guys to buy the new ones and quit buying the old ones...

and like nc said, most people likely cant see the difference if there is one...and like we said, if you cant see through any good rifle scope, you likely shouldnt be shooting and most times its illegal to do so anyways...
Old 03-13-2010, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the same model on a .375 H&H. Great scope.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

The new 3 is better but probably not enough to warrant the extra cash. I just sold one. I'd get the used VXIII.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go for it. That's a good deal. From what they advertise, the new model VX3 has a bit better coating on the lenses. With this scope, that little bit of brightness will be negligible. Of all the Leupold's that I own, this is my favorite.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.