Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
sighting in problems ??????? >

sighting in problems ???????

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

sighting in problems ???????

Old 02-28-2010, 04:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default sighting in problems ???????

i dony get what the problem is i just got a new 22 250 and i sighted it in at 80 yards in my back yard and set it 3 inches high at 80 then shot it this mornin at 150 and 200 and it was 9 to 10 inches high its grouping very well but i figured it would shoot lower at a longer distance it dosent make sense to me me but im a very novice shooter , you pros got any advice on what the deal is
Old 02-28-2010, 06:21 AM
Fork Horn

so dose that mean if i shoot at a coyote at less than 100 yards i have to aim 8 inches low
Old 02-28-2010, 06:30 AM
Typical Buck

I sight my 22-250 in at .7" high at a hundred. It's dead on at 200 yards with that particular load. And It makes it comparable to my other hunting rifles and loads so I'm not doing much brain work when it comes to hold overs at longer ranges. A preprogrammed brain is better than gadgets when it comes to hunting, especially when time is critical on making a shot.

Plus a 22-250 is one of the flatter calibers out there you don't need to sight it in very high to obtain max point blank range for shooting. I've noticed if I stick around a 200yard sight in, it tends to more consistant 300-500 yard kills on varmits. Most times if your crosshairs are not on hair you shooting beyond 350 yards with a 22-250. So thats when knowing your rifles trajectory is crucial beyond that range. Especially on a 9" body of a coyote. I only average around 2 out of 5 kills on running coyotes up to 400 yards so if your like me and like driving around shooting yotes you'll want simplicity vs complicated scopes and gadgets.

I have a straight 6x weaver on my Ruger no1 22-250. Same sight picture everytime also elminates need for time ranging and sight picture in rushed shots. I preferred not to make my varmit rifle too complicated, i'm not using it as a bench rest rifle. Pairie dogs is a different game all together once you go beyond 300yds you have to be able to see the lil guys.

good luck
Old 02-28-2010, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

the others gave great advice....

i use a 200yd zero on my 22-250 only because i cant find a range that has a 250yd target....

if you look at the last trajectory ridge runner posted, you can see that with a 250yd zero, your never more than about 3" off out to 300yds...aim center mass and your killing whatever you shot if your shot is true...i do like to know the extremes and adjust accordingly...ive missed many groundhogs shooting for the head at 100yds...makes me feel pretty dumb when im killing them at 200-350yds but missing at 100 lol...but i know thats why...

good luck! ya picked a nice caliber...i love mine...
Old 02-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's simple, because at 80 yds, the trajectory is still on the upward path of it's trajectory which would give an approximate zero at about 350 yds as evidenced by RR's chart. Your over thinking it and not taking the actual trajectory into account.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with thndrchiken....you bullet is still rising at 80 yards and beyond.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:44 AM
Fork Horn

3 inches high at 80 yards...you must be planning on doing some long long range bangin'..wow...you'd shoot over the head of just about every hog out to 200 or so, if you were aiming on doing some head shots, WAY TO HIGH..sight-it in dead on or 1 inch high at 100 yards..you'll be good out to 250 or so and then you 'll only need a little bit to get yourself on at 300 or so...
Old 03-01-2010, 04:02 AM
Fork Horn

[quote=Blackelk
I have a straight 6x weaver on my Ruger no1 22-250. Same sight picture everytime also elminates need for time ranging and sight picture in rushed shots. I preferred not to make my varmit rifle too complicated, i'm not using it as a bench rest rifle. Pairie dogs is a different game all together once you go beyond 300yds you have to be able to see the lil guys.
[/quote]

I like that mindset. I run a 6x IOR on my 25-06. I think the high magnification card is played way too often, especially on hunting scopes. 6x is plenty, as far away as I can shoot. Fewer lenses = better light transmission = brighter picture in low light conditions.