Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
need rifle purchase advice please >

need rifle purchase advice please

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

need rifle purchase advice please

Old 02-22-2010, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dischNoutTAspd
Also correct me if im wrong, but I think the Remington 700's are not free floating barrels .. and that is important to me.
IMO a freefloated barrel is just a marketing ploy, and only good if the action has been properly bedded anyway. my 700 mtlss is not bedded or floated, and does under an 1" all day long. so did every unbedded unfloated 700 ive owned.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Fork Horn

[quote=DeerandbearhoG;3581753]The factory rings that come w/ the tikka arent fit for a cheap pellet gun, and I dont think its drilled and tapped for standard mounts. I also think the magazine sucks, although others seem to like it.

The Tikka is drilled for standard scope mounts. You can also use the clamp-on style if you want to.

I have two Tikka's, and love both. One in .308 and one in .270WSM. The 308 is the older 595 model, it has the true short action. The 270wsm is the T3 stainless.

Both are excellent guns, I would be surprised if you got one and weren't happy with it.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote=SGT.H;3581770]
Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
The factory rings that come w/ the tikka arent fit for a cheap pellet gun, and I dont think its drilled and tapped for standard mounts. I also think the magazine sucks, although others seem to like it.

The Tikka is drilled for standard scope mounts. You can also use the clamp-on style if you want to.

I have two Tikka's, and love both. One in .308 and one in .270WSM. The 308 is the older 595 model, it has the true short action. The 270wsm is the T3 stainless.

Both are excellent guns, I would be surprised if you got one and weren't happy with it.
The tikka I briefly owned, was not drilled and tapped for Leupold mounts , it just had a DT rail and notches for the factory rings.

EDIT- correction, I just looked it up and apparently leupold does make mounts for tikkas so I guess they are drilled and tapped , my mistake.

Last edited by DeerandbearhoG; 02-22-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Spike

ah im so confused
Old 02-22-2010, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

The bottom line is that there are many different rifles, Savage, Rem, Tikka, that will give you the sub MOA accuracy you need given the right load. Just look at them and buy the one you like.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Back to basics;

Almost any of those rifles WILL shoot 1" MOA with the right ammo !

Find the ones with all of the features you want and shoulder them.

The one that feels best, "fits" you.................

More imortantly;

Standard rule of thumb - spend at least as much on your scope, as you do on your rifle.

Need lifetime warranty !
Old 02-23-2010, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan

Standard rule of thumb - spend at least as much on your scope, as you do on your rifle.
You don't want a cheapy scope on a good rifle, but there are a number of good scopes in the $300-$500 price range and few decent rifles there. If you're not cranking your turrents for long range elevation constantly, a $600-$1000 scope is not a necessity.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:42 AM
Spike

[QUOTE=Sheridan;3581944]Back to basics;

Almost any of those rifles WILL shoot 1" MOA with the right ammo !

Find the ones with all of the features you want and shoulder them.

The one that feels best, "fits" you.................

You hit it right on the head. I wouldn't spend $600+ on a rifle that doesn't fit right just because it's advertised as accurate. If you really want the Tikka...then get the Tikka. If you're set on a certain calibre, then go somewhere that has a good selection and shoulder everything they have. It's all about personal preference.

I've never owned a Tikka so I can't comment on their quality or feel. I shoot all Model 70's and I love them. I've looked at couple of Rem 700's and they seemed like good rifles except I prefer the 3 stage safety on the Winchesters. It's a little thing but it's what I prefer.

As far as a scope goes...I've got Bushnell's on all my rifles and are great scopes for the money. I had to send one in and they sent me a brand new one...no questions asked.

Good luck.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:39 AM
Banned

moa dont mean **** anymore...get a clue on that...go buy a $500 wanker and be done with it...did your mom pick out your jammies last night???