Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
need rifle purchase advice please >

need rifle purchase advice please

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

need rifle purchase advice please

Old 02-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like the Tikka "Lite" (although I own a Sako), but you're back to spending all your money on the rifle and don't have quality glass !

Firearms today shoot better than we can, particularly without good optics !

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ducts_id=90835

Last edited by Sheridan; 02-22-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:52 PM
Spike

I can get a t3 lite stainless for just under $600 (.308) and spend $400 on a Vortex Viper 4-12x40 and get quality rings for around $1000..I think thats pretty damn good. *side note, im really wanting a .308 but i've been looking into the .270WSM.. however i already own a .270. opinions?
Old 02-22-2010, 03:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dischNoutTAspd
1) im from lafayette, la and go to LSU. 2) I can target shoot 400 yards and have taken one deer at 400 yards.
*Spaniel, are you recommending a Savage or Remington SPS over the Tikka altogether?
Yes. If you were getting a long action cartridge I would have no real preference beyond personal whim. While the action length difference between long and short action is not huge, pick up one of each and you will see that at least in feeling and handling it is significant.

The other issue is if you may want to do anything to upgrade the rifle in the future. There are innumberable options to upgrade all components on a Rem700 action and a very good number for the Savage action as well. You would have a more difficult time upgrading the Tikka.

Both the Savage and Rem700 are good actions. I give the Rem the edge on the trigger (though some people love the Savage Accutrigger). I have a Rem700 long action and Savage short action with pre-Accutrigger. For an extra $70 I upgraded the Savage trigger (Rifle Basix) and it is now superior to the Remington.

The one interesting thing about the Savage is that if you know what you are doing you can switch barrels (and calibers) all by yourself with minimal equipment. My Savage is set up to switch back and forth between 2 barrels.

I have a slight preference toward the Remington action, though that will be at the very upper end of your budget and the Savage will come in lower for an equivalent rifle.

As for the scope, good bang for your buck is the Nikon Buckmaster. Out the door for around $300 and leave you cash for base and rings. I am a fan of Burris Signature rings. I own two of these scopes and they are a great value for the money.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pick up the T3 for $600, then a Bushnell Elite 4200 for $240, and mount it in Warne steel rings for $50. Now you have $100 left over for ammo or reloading supplies. This would be an excellent set up.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

The best advice I could give you is to "handle" as many guns as you can & see which one feels right to you.Because the one that feels the best is the best for you.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

What VAhuntr said.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

I've got a T3 Lite in 7mm-08. It's been a fantastic gun. Shoots great, and very light. This is my first Tikka and I couldn't be happier. I will be honest and tell you I would prefer a Remington due to the fact that any smith I know can work on a 700 if need be. I don't know how many smiths know that much about the Tikka's. Also, as has been mentioned if you ever get the urge to tinker with your rifle, replace the stock, rebarrel it, whatever, the 700 has alot more options out there.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:36 AM
Spike

honestly, I wont be "tinkering" with whatever rifle I get. I just need something that is the best out of the box accuracy that I can achieve, and I dont see any other solution besides the Tikka.. or maybe Savage. Except I just dont care for the accutrigger system on the Savage.. and buying a entry level savage to me, would be like buying the remington 770, although i hear they arnet comparable, it just seems you get what you pay for w/ guns and optics. Also correct me if im wrong, but I think the Remington 700's are not free floating barrels .. and that is important to me.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

The factory rings that come w/ the tikka arent fit for a cheap pellet gun, and I dont think its drilled and tapped for standard mounts. I also think the magazine sucks, although others seem to like it.

IMO, all injection molded stocks are ugly and flimsey, savage are no worse than tikkas. IMO the best inection molded stock is on the 700SPS, but they are all just utilitarian, not suppposed to be pretty. The savage accutrigger is great, and not the hassle some think it is. I can shoot just as quick w/ my 10ml as my 700. For the same price I would take a blued xbolt , or 700 sps stainless over a tikka.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dischNoutTAspd
honestly, I wont be "tinkering" with whatever rifle I get. I just need something that is the best out of the box accuracy that I can achieve, and I dont see any other solution besides the Tikka.. or maybe Savage. Except I just dont care for the accutrigger system on the Savage.. and buying a entry level savage to me, would be like buying the remington 770, although i hear they arnet comparable, it just seems you get what you pay for w/ guns and optics. Also correct me if im wrong, but I think the Remington 700's are not free floating barrels .. and that is important to me.
Honestly you can't go by brand as to what will be most accurate out of the box...that will depend on the individual one you end up with. Tikka, Savage, and a Rem700 (NOT 770) can all produce MOA-ish accuracy as sold.

Some Remingtons have free floated barrels. If not that is about the easiest home gun mod there is. A Rem770 is NOT in the same league as a Savage, my cheap Savage package gun shot just over MOA before I tore it apart and improved it. Smooth bolt to boot.

I'd pick the best you can get of each brand within your budget and then start comparing features. Then handle each in the store to do a reality check on fit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.