Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Scope rings/bases opinions...... >

Scope rings/bases opinions......

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scope rings/bases opinions......

Old 02-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

How many scopes have you mounted in your life?
How many good, bad, and uglies have you experienced with different mounting systems?

Have you even held a set of DNZ's in your hand?

The rings have half of the surface area of Talley's.
Tell ya what. Tomorrow I will mic the thickness of the DNZ's and the TLW's and some other stand by's for ya.

Plus 2 screws threaded in aluminum isn't good as 4.
Talleys need the extra screws because of their thin construction. DNZ's two screws, on the other hand, have considerably more engaged threads than the 4 screws on the TLW's do. I'll mic the thread engagement for ya also.

I'm not saying that Talley LW's are terrible but based on actual experience I will pick DNZ's every time.

Last edited by bigbulls; 02-17-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

DNZ's for me also...20moa one piece unit is awesome. Never used the Talleys, have Warne or Loopy QRW's on everything else...
Old 02-18-2010, 03:29 AM
Banned

I've never even owned a scope.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:53 AM
bigcountry

Bigbulls, all pissing match aside. I am not sure about the DNZ's myself. I own lightweight talleys and would never put them on anything with some power. They currently sit on my 223 and 204.

I have looked over the game reapers, and it seems they are bulky and lacking in the looks department. Sure they will work. Just don't look like an all steel construction which I prefer.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

i jsut put game reapers on my 7600 in 35 whelen...

got 20rds through her and scope is still set tight....

the thread contact is much greater than most anything else...meaning more holding power....i got sick of turnin them 4 screws in..they are that long..

i was sceptical...but metal quality is great...fit is PERFECT...you can tell they were truly milled for the gun..mine are actually shaped like my receiver...they almost "lock in" to the shape before they are mounted...i was shocked by that...

i was also concerned about looks...i like a purdy gun...my gun is blue/walnut with a gloss scope...i thought they looked a little goofy at first...and thought the matte finish would ruin my guns looks...

well, they are there to stay....

heres some crappy cell phone pics..

not the greatest pics...but if someone wants more i'll find my digital camera and take better ones...

im pleased with them...if they pass the test of handling my shooting, they will be on there come fall and i'll be huntin with them...but so far im pleased...
Old 02-18-2010, 06:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've never even owned a scope.
That's about what I figured. I know that actual hands on experience and actual numbers might be hard for you to swallow but you can read below.

I have looked over the game reapers, and it seems they are bulky and lacking in the looks department. Sure they will work. Just don't look like an all steel construction which I prefer.
I understand your reservations. I was skeptical at first about these rings being that they are aluminum and I have always preferred to use steel rings (usually Warne). But after reading the reviews from a couple of other HNI members a couple of year ago I decided to give them a try. I can tell you that after actually using them I have absolutely no hang ups about them and prefer them to any other systems I have used. I have had a set of game reapers on a Remington 700 338RUM for two years now and not the first problem with them. I also have them on a Winchester 70 in .270 Win. Not even a hint of slippage with either.

Below are pics of the .338RUM. I actually think that they look very clean. The machining is excellent and the finish shows no flaws. Notice that they are machined to match up with the receiver and do not hang over in the front or rear. The corners are nicely radiused and notice that there are no "wings" sticking out for the screw like so many other horizontally split rings have. Just one clean ring. Scope fit and ring alignment is perfect and lapping the rings is absolutely not necessary. There is absolutely no binding of the scope at all and no way that you can get the two rings misaligned.

I can understand if someone just doesn't like the looks of something though. That's what there are blonds, brunets and redheads.

Most people here (those that actually still visit) would know that there are very few products that I am adamant about pushing to others but every now and then something comes along that I will recommend above most, if not all, other similar products. The last product was Slick Trick broadheads when I discovered them 8 years ago.

The bottom pic is a Talley LW next to my Game Reapers for comparison of the amount of surface area. Half the width huh?

AS for exact numbers.
Game Reapers - .625" (edit) base and ring cap.
Talley LW - (edit) .649" for the base, .660 for the ring cap. (love that QC)
Leupold STD. - .624"
Leupold Rifleman - .740"
Warne - .704"
Ruger - .619" (edit) base and ring cap.
Weaver - .813"

Looks like the ole Weavers come out on top for gripping surface.

(EDIT) Almost forgot the thread engagement of the screws.
Game Reaper - .425" per screw - .850 total per ring
Talley LW - .180" per screw - .720" total per ring

Last edited by bigbulls; 02-18-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Banned

Those are beautiful. Did the scope come with them? I can see why you like DeezNutz

Originally Posted by bigbulls
That's about what I figured. I know that actual hands on experience and actual numbers might be hard for you to swallow but you can read below.

I understand your reservations. I was skeptical at first about these rings being that they are aluminum and I have always preferred to use steel rings (usually Warne). But after reading the reviews from a couple of other HNI members a couple of year ago I decided to give them a try. I can tell you that after actually using them I have absolutely no hang ups about them and prefer them to any other systems I have used. I have had a set of game reapers on a Remington 700 338RUM for two years now and not the first problem with them. I also have them on a Winchester 70 in .270 Win. Not even a hint of slippage with either.

Below are pics of the .338RUM. I actually think that they look very clean. The machining is excellent and the finish shows no flaws. Notice that they are machined to match up with the receiver and do not hang over in the front or rear. The corners are nicely radiused and notice that there are no "wings" sticking out for the screw like so many other horizontally split rings have. Just one clean ring. Scope fit and ring alignment is perfect and lapping the rings is absolutely not necessary. There is absolutely no binding of the scope at all and no way that you can get the two rings misaligned.

I can understand if someone just doesn't like the looks of something though. That's what there are blonds, brunets and redheads.

Most people here (those that actually still visit) would know that there are very few products that I am adamant about pushing to others but every now and then something comes along that I will recommend above most, if not all, other similar products. The last product was Slick Trick broadheads when I discovered them 8 years ago.

The bottom pic is a Talley LW next to my Game Reapers for comparison of the amount of surface area. Half the width huh?

AS for exact numbers.
Game Reapers - .625"
Talley LW - .660"
Leupold STD. - .624"
Leupold Rifleman - .740"
Warne - .704"
Ruger - .619"
Weaver - .813"

Looks like the ole Weavers come out on top for gripping surface.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everyone knows the merits of fixed bases. That can't be contested. With that said, a properly tuned two piece base is pretty tough to beat when you take into account weight and style.

Though I like the look of the DNZ just not as much as a 2pc.

I'm sold on Warne. Five sets going strong here and I shoot more than every other weekend.

Tom