Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
shotgun saddle mount for scope >

shotgun saddle mount for scope

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

shotgun saddle mount for scope

Old 02-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Spike

Default shotgun saddle mount for scope

how many use a saddle scope mount for your slug gun?does it hold its zero.i just put one on my 870 and it seems very sturdy.havent shot it yet though.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your barrel was rigidly fixed to the receiver, there would be no problem. In a takedown shotgun, however, the barrel can slightly change it's aspect to the receiver every time you take it apart to clean it and retighten the magazine cap up reassembly. Small changes in aspect will really affect the POI. It will help to not take down your gun to clean it after you've sighted in. Or at least pay attention to the number of turns applied to the magazine cap when you re-tighten it.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got one for my 870s. It works fine, but I don't shoot slugs much (just for fun) and it's usually taken off after 2 or 3 boxes to get back to bird duty. I avoid taking the barrel off when I expect to shoot more slugs, and recommend checking zero any time the bbl is removed.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Wingbone
If your barrel was rigidly fixed to the receiver, there would be no problem. In a takedown shotgun, however, the barrel can slightly change it's aspect to the receiver every time you take it apart to clean it and retighten the magazine cap up reassembly. Small changes in aspect will really affect the POI. It will help to not take down your gun to clean it after you've sighted in. Or at least pay attention to the number of turns applied to the magazine cap when you re-tighten it.
Here is a link to an instructional post on how to shim your 870's barrel to the receiver. This method uses an aluminum soda can for the shim material. The people who've tried it say that it improves accuracy and repeatability.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...f=118&t=197756
Old 02-11-2010, 05:37 PM
Spike

slug shooting is all i use it for.i will leave the barrel on and clean it from the muzzle.once i get it sighted in,i wont shoot except to recheck zero before i hunt.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

A lot of guys will drill and tap a hole through the side of the receiver that's in line with the rear of the barrel. They use a set screw to "pin" the barrel in place. That is a lot of work, but I would at least try the soda can shim. It can only help when you remove the slack between the barrel and the receiver.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

I have a B-Square mount on my 1100 with a smooth bore barrel. I don't take the barrel off and its accurate.