Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
which one is a better gun >

which one is a better gun

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

which one is a better gun

Old 02-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Spike

Default which one is a better gun

which one of thes guns is a beter one
the Winchester Model 70 Custom 270 WSM or the
Remington 700 SPS 270 Win
Old 02-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Either will shoot, I'd bet.. though .277s aren't my favorite, to say the least
Old 02-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Spike

win 270 wsm for sure
Old 02-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

.270 win then have the barrel hand lapped and a trigger job - now you got a 1" MOA gun
Old 02-04-2010, 01:34 AM
Fork Horn

Well if these are both new guns, I would go with the Winchester. I recently purchased two new rifles and I looked through all the guns. Every new Remington rifle I handled just didn't feel like the same quality that Remington was putting out just 5 years ago. The action and trigger felt sloppy to me, and the finish wasn't very smooth. The same company that makes Browning rifles also makes Winchester rifles, and I dearly love my Brownings. I would go with the Winchester 70.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

+1 on the Remmy's slide downhill. I'll take the Win 70 thank you.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Years ago I probaly would have said The remington.I personally have mostly Model 70 action (pre-64 or the newer "classic" model) which is basicly the same as a Pre-64 but I think some better upgrades.As far as caliber again I personally don't like any short,super short ,short ultra,or any of these new short magnums.I just don't see much future in them unless you reload.Also I feel you actually lose with these unless you reload.If you are set on a .270 I would reccomend the Model 70 in the old favorite .270 win.You can get .270 win. ammo anywhere .It is aboutas available as 30-06 ammo plus if you roll your own you can use 30-06 brass in a pinch because it is one of several calibers that are based on the 30-06 cartridge.JMHO
Old 02-04-2010, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

The new M70 has not proven to be anything special yet, and I don't think anyone needs controlled round feed in a .270. Despite what some folks on this site say, there is absolutely nothing wrong with new Remingtons. It is tiring to read negative comments from the same guys all of the time.
Of the two cartridges mentioned, I would choose the .270 Win over the WSM.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

+1 ,Remington quality "going downhill" is an absolute myth, just people repeating what others are saying on the net. The remington 700s made today are just as good as the ones made 5-10 years ago. I bought 2 700s in the past 2 years and they are fine , accurate guns. The action, fit, and finish are all tight & nice. I also handled a couple 870s, the other day at gander, and saw nothing wrong w/ them at all. Sure there are a few lemons out there, but what comany doesnt put out turds here and there? IMO the 700 is a far more accurate rifle than a model 70 and w/ a better , adjustable trigger. I also dont care for CRF bolts and 3 postion safeties.

Last edited by DeerandbearhoG; 02-04-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
+1 ,Remington quality "going downhill" is an absolute myth, just people repeating what others are saying on the net. The remington 700s made today are just as good as the ones made 5-10 years ago. I bought 2 700s in the past 2 years and they are fine , accurate guns. The action, fit, and finish are all tight & nice. I also handled a couple 870s, the other day at gander, and saw nothing wrong w/ them at all. Sure there are a few lemons out there, but what comany doesnt put out turds here and there? IMO the 700 is a far more accurate rifle than a model 70 and w/ a better , adjustable trigger. I also dont care for CRF bolts and 3 postion safeties.
Look a little closer next time. bead blasted with beach sand. Nice synthetic stock. Love the seam and the rubber inlays...pos. Do they still have the "J" safety. Now that was a work of art. They may be tight, but not "fit". Recoil pads feel like flubber. Yours for only 325 at Wal-Mart.

FN is cranking out the new 70's. Give them a minute or two and you'll see why Uncle Sam lets them build play toys....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.