Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
kimber rifles >

kimber rifles

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

kimber rifles

Old 02-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Spike

Default Kimber M84 308 Miss Fires (Light primer strikes)

I purchased a Kimber 84 in the 308 caliber in June 2007. I've been very pleased with the light weight and feel of the rifle. However the accuracy has not been desireable with 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 MOA's using factory ammunition. Another problem I've had (and the most annoying) is I've had 6 rounds out of about 400 shots with the rifle to miss fire. Three rounds using Winchester balistic silvertip and 3 rounds with Hornady Superformance SST's. I returned the Winchester silvertip's to Winchester and they tested them and replied that I had a weak fireing strike. I thought a bad primer was a fault so switched to the Hornady SST's and now I've had 3 miss fires with them also. I took the rifle to my local gunsmith and he couldn't find anything wrong with the fireing pin, but did correct problems with the stock bedding, polished the bolt, and remounted the Leupold 3-9 x 40 scope. It seems some of the bedding material was pushing the barrel to the left and the bolt has some unecessary wear. My MOA's at 100 yards are now < 1 inch. Has anyone experienced any problems with miss fires?

Thanks
Old 02-02-2010, 01:55 AM
Spike

Have you heard or experienced any problem with the Kimber 84 miss firing or light primer strikes?
Old 02-02-2010, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by canecreek
I purchased a Kimber 84 in the 308 caliber in June 2007. I've been very pleased with the light weight and feel of the rifle. However the accuracy has not been desireable with 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 MOA's using factory ammunition. Another problem I've had (and the most annoying) is I've had 6 rounds out of about 400 shots with the rifle to miss fire. Three rounds using Winchester balistic silvertip and 3 rounds with Hornady Superformance SST's. I returned the Winchester silvertip's to Winchester and they tested them and replied that I had a weak fireing strike. I thought a bad primer was a fault so switched to the Hornady SST's and now I've had 3 miss fires with them also. I took the rifle to my local gunsmith and he couldn't find anything wrong with the fireing pin, but did correct problems with the stock bedding, polished the bolt, and remounted the Leupold 3-9 x 40 scope. It seems some of the bedding material was pushing the barrel to the left and the bolt has some unecessary wear. My MOA's at 100 yards are now < 1 inch. Has anyone experienced any problems with miss fires?

Thanks
Good post. However, watch it with the primer dinged ammo. It could in theory go off at anytime. That many miss fires should have told you with 99.9% certainty that it was your rifle and not the ammo. Not worth the risk of handling that ammo.

Tom
Old 02-02-2010, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

You looked at a Montanna.I have two,one in .308 and one in 300 wsm.Mine are both accurate and function fine.I've gone through loads of rifles over the years but can't see myself parting with either one of these.The 300 wsm is probably the nicest and best rifle I've ever owned.It shoots less than a 1/2 inch with 180 gr accubonds in front of 65 gr of H4350.Recoil is very manageable despite the light weight of the rifles and it just feels good in my hands.The triggers are nice and easily adjustable.They aren't cheap but I look at them as a life time investment.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cane Creek did you have the headspace on that ride checked? That is a common cause for that also.

I have heard and read the same as dbh... quality control is very spotty on them. Feeding on the short mags not so hot and customer service just bad. It seems if you get a good one you have got something and if you get a bad one you better dump it.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:47 AM
Spike

Thanks Statjunk....old canecreek did not think about the ammo being live. I'm new to the Hunting Net.com Forum and having trouble navagating. But do appreciate the input. My next concern is calling Kimber and trying to get them to understand my problem and NC slang.

thanks again,

bob
Old 02-03-2010, 03:50 AM
Spike

Thanks for the reply Doug E....have not looked at any other Kimber products...and most likely will not due to the problems I'm currently having. Although I've heard lots of good things about the Montanna.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:56 AM
Spike

Doe Dumper...I was also thinking the headspace needed looking at, but can't see how to fix the problem. I was also thinking the firing pin spring was week or the firing pin too short? I'll give Kimber customer service time to wake up and drink their coffee this morning and give them a call.

thanks again,

bob
Old 02-03-2010, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by canecreek
Thanks for the reply Doug E....have not looked at any other Kimber products...and most likely will not due to the problems I'm currently having. Although I've heard lots of good things about the Montanna.
I have no doubt that there's lemons out there.I was skeptical to buy one because of the reports I read but I traded a browning stainless stalker for a montanna in .308 anyway.I was so pleased with that rifle that I traded my 300 wsm in for another Montanna in 300 wsm.I fully admit that for once,I may have gotten lucky.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keep us posted on how their customer service treats you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.