Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Do you reload and do you think it's worth it? >

Do you reload and do you think it's worth it?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.
View Poll Results: Do you reload and do you think it's worth it?
I reload and it's worth it
74.14%
I reload and don't think it's worth it
5.17%
I don't reload but would like to in the future
15.52%
I don't reload and don't think it's worth it
5.17%
I used to reload but no longer do
0%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Do you reload and do you think it's worth it?

Old 01-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by driftrider
I would also like to apologize to those with actual disabilities that I compared you to this guy, it was unkind.

Mike

LMAO!!!!!!

Tom
Old 01-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

vabyd,
I think you are assuming MOA when you mention 13". You get MOA or better out of factory loads with all your guns. I believe RR is getting better than MOA out of his setups and loads.

To the OP. Is it worth it to me? Yes. I save per box plus i enjoy the process and satisfaction
Do i think it will be worth it to you based on your original post? No. You dont seem to like it, your cartridges are too common, and you dont shoot enough

Last edited by DannyD; 01-06-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DannyD
vabyd,
I think you are assuming MOA when you mention 13". You get MOA or better out of factory loads with all your guns. I believe RR is getting better than MOA out of his setups and loads.

To the OP. Is it worth it to me? Yes. I save per box plus i enjoy the process and satisfaction
Do i think it will be worth it to you based on your original post? No. You dont seem to like it, your cartridges are too common, and you dont shoot enough

Right. So to drag this topic out further. My guess is that he may have cut it by a third, judging by the targets he posted. Which leaves about 8" before all other factors, I guess.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
You got it Danny,
and the man wonders why everyone knows he's FOS, he keeps proving it over and over with his statements. he gets 1 moa with a factory rifle and factory ammo, but he spouts off about someone else with a custom built big game rifle with the best stuff in it, put togather not on an assembly line but by a world class smith and they only get .66 moa, with meticulously loaded ammo specificly for that rifle, bet he gets beat up alot!
anyways the only shooting I do at 100 yards is fireforming, now forming brass under pressure in the chamber isn't real great for accuracy but here is a fireform group, actualy its shots 4,5,&6 from the lilja 9 twist barrel fired off a bipod no less
is this .66 MOA?

another pic of a target, this one shot at 660 yards, just checking the repeatability of the scope. From a 100 yard zero, I set my dope took 1 shot, returned the scope to a 100 yard zero, redid my dope, reset for 660 yards, took the second shot, is this .66 MOA.
.66x1.0473x6.6=4.56"

yeah POI is 2.5" high, tweaking the BC from published to actual fixed that.

My rangework is on a target at 830 yards, groups there shooting off a bipod, (the same way I shoot deer) run just over 4"which is suitable accuracy to way beyond 1000 yards.
RR

Now, RR. We don't want to let a few little facts spoil vabyrds delusions of grandeur. I mean, 830 yards... please. He can knock a 6" steel plate over most of the time with a custom built, compensated, long slide racegun with a red dot sight from a full 20 yards. That's like a whole 720 inches. You've got a long ways to go before you're anywhere near as cool as him.

Mike

Last edited by driftrider; 01-06-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

RR,
I certainly do not have the skill, nor the knowledge of shooting, guns or reloading that you have
I will say however that i am new to reloading and i have already achieved better groups with my 243 and 7 mag than i had ever achieved with any factory loads.

Killed a deer with both of them using my handloads this year. I will say that there was a sense of satisfaction in doing that
Old 01-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Banned

Here's a little play with a STOCK 1988 Colt 1911, in stainless I might add. Dang thing printed a stringer, needs a little slide to frame fit. You do know what a slide to frame fit is? Anyway, decided to yank out the little 14# mainspring and a shock buff that was cut to snot. Added a 19 pounder instead and a new buffy and she locked up like a Mercedes. I do apologize for the little yanker on the lower left. I think the 5 230 FMJ's made up for it. The white spot above the ten is a rip, not a hole as Im sure you can tell from the lack of spider legs. Oops...forgot to mention those were Blazers. Sorry, never had much need for reloading Thumper. She's one of my buddies, not a comp ho..
Attached Thumbnails Do you reload and do you think it's worth it?-45acp.jpg  
Old 01-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Banned

Whoops, where did that come from? Sorry, that's an early 70's Model 700 BDL Varmint Special in 223. I hand loaded the Hornady 53 grain HP's into the magazine myself. Mr. Hornady made them. I'm sorry I didn't save the target from the Federal 45 grain TNT's, it was much better. Funny thing about the scope on that gun. I wouldn't use it as a hammer, much less on my beloved Remmy. But, I figured what the hey and after the group, let it stay...

Oh yes, that's an official 25 cent American MOA tester.
Attached Thumbnails Do you reload and do you think it's worth it?-223.jpg  

Last edited by vabyrd; 01-07-2010 at 04:59 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Banned

Default And the piece de resistance!!

Unfortunately, Winchester couldn't make rifle if they had to after 1964. This piece of crap 1967 Model 70 Deluxe in 270 had to have the action bedded. Wait, maybe that makes it a custom gun? I guess since I'm not a gunsmith, then its stock. Anyway, I called Remington and asked them to give me the best box of 130 grain Core-Snots that they had and this was the best they could do. I need to get out of the habit of shooting more than 3 shots, as it messes up my spread. Oh, and thats the cheap $0.05 version of the great American MOA tester.

Well fellas, thanks for the stroll down memory lane. I never thought I'd have to use targets in self-defense. Always thought it would be a weapon.

I hope you're satisfied with the results of the little study about factory ammo and rifles. Sorry I don't have a target for the Tikka, you'll have to wait on that one. Didn't realize I'd need it to prove a point to complete strangers one day. Be glad to send it along Drifter, you want mustard with that foot? Is that an empty beer shelf I hear? Anytime you want a run at the plate rack, I'll send you to the kitchen....you seem to be an AD waiting to happen..

Ridger, hope you like my targets...

Alls well that ends well....
Attached Thumbnails Do you reload and do you think it's worth it?-270.jpg  

Last edited by vabyrd; 01-07-2010 at 04:02 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

What mental hospital did you break out of.....

Tom
Old 01-07-2010, 05:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by statjunk
What mental hospital did you break out of.....

Tom
Now that's a classic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.