Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
.30-06 question ? >

.30-06 question ?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.30-06 question ?

Old 12-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Typical Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUK101
One of the books that I have states that they quit making the accelerator rounds due to lack of sales. They made them for the 30-30 as well, where they where supposed to have sold fairly well. A 30.06 does pretty well with 130gr. up to 220gr. from what I have seen. Lighter or heavier is a crap shoot.

"If a person really wants to try the Accelerators, I see them occasionaly at flea markets and gun shows. I always heard the accuracy was definately lacking with them."

These "accelerators" were made for the guy that didn't want to change rifles or didn't want to buy/or afford another rifle for varmint hunting.
As stated the accuracy was rather poor at best but they had a nitch in sales market at that time frame.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have pretty well settled on the 165gr bullet from my 06's. I have shot 150 and 180gr, but thats it. I think it would be very hard to beat the 165gr for the 06.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ajstrider
I have fired as low as 125 grain with good success and up to 180 grains. I have never tried more or less, never really seen a need to. Those 55 grainers you mention are what I think were the old Accelerator sabot rounds. Much like a shotgun or muzzleloader sabot round it was a .22 caliber bullet in a plastic sabot. I am not sure if they outlawed those or what happened, but they are no longer available as far as I know. They leave no rifling mark on the bullet and make matching bullet to rifle hard for investigation purposes. They were short lived. I can not really think of any reason to need less than a 150 grain bullet much though. Anything you want a lighter bullet for is a game animal you probably don't care about destroying so 150 grain bullets will be fine. I would recommend the weights for 30-06 bullets from 150 to 180 grains. I know of people having good success with 200 grain bullets, but I don't know of any factory loadings out there from the major manufacturers. Handloaders can take advantage of the 200 grainers I am sure though.
THey are still around and can be bought at Gunbrokers.com and it is a .222 bullet in a plastic sabot.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Typical Buck

My picky moody cranky 60's vintage savage doesn't seem to care what goes down the bore as long as I drive it much over 2700 . I found some old Winchester western 225s they shot about as well as anything I was shooting at the time . I've shot some 100 gr cast gaschecked that I over speeded a little they just poofed at the muzzle in a cloud of smoke .
Old 12-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I aways heard the accuracy was definately lacking with them.
Accuracy wasn't too great but as a fun plinking round down in the family gravel pit they were pretty cool. For example, if you want to see a milk jug filled with water absolutely vaporize like you hit it with a Star Trek phaser then shoot one with a 30-06 accelerator. Check the FPS rating on those 30-06 accelerators and you will see why. LOL!