HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .30-06 question ?
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 12:09 PM
Kosherboy
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ajstrider
I have fired as low as 125 grain with good success and up to 180 grains. I have never tried more or less, never really seen a need to. Those 55 grainers you mention are what I think were the old Accelerator sabot rounds. Much like a shotgun or muzzleloader sabot round it was a .22 caliber bullet in a plastic sabot. I am not sure if they outlawed those or what happened, but they are no longer available as far as I know. They leave no rifling mark on the bullet and make matching bullet to rifle hard for investigation purposes. They were short lived. I can not really think of any reason to need less than a 150 grain bullet much though. Anything you want a lighter bullet for is a game animal you probably don't care about destroying so 150 grain bullets will be fine. I would recommend the weights for 30-06 bullets from 150 to 180 grains. I know of people having good success with 200 grain bullets, but I don't know of any factory loadings out there from the major manufacturers. Handloaders can take advantage of the 200 grainers I am sure though.
THey are still around and can be bought at Gunbrokers.com and it is a .222 bullet in a plastic sabot.