Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Sticky Firing Pin on A-bolt >

Sticky Firing Pin on A-bolt

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sticky Firing Pin on A-bolt

Old 12-30-2009, 06:30 AM
RDJ
Spike

Default Sticky Firing Pin on A-bolt

Has anyone experienced a "light" strike of the firing pin with their A-bolt? The pin lightly tapped the primer barely making a mark and the rifle didn't fire. But, I did hear the click when I pulled th trigger. The rifle is only 3 years old and has not been exposed to harsh conditions. If you have experienced this, is it an easy fix/clean by a gunsmith?
Old 12-30-2009, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know how to take apart browning bolts, but I'm guessing things have greased up inside it. Did this happen in cold weather? Anyways, if it's just a spring problem, cleaning followed by a light oil should do--or a replacement spring, if it's really needed.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:54 AM
RDJ
Spike

Actually, it did happen in cold weather and some snow did fall on my action earlier in the day. But, I just couldn't see how any of that snow could have melted and re-froze inside my pin. Perhaps it did??
Old 12-30-2009, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was thinking along the lines of too much oil that's gunked up, plus the cold weather thickened it even more. I wouldn't guess ice as the problem.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:36 AM
RDJ
Spike

I have actually never oiled the pin. Not sure how much oil, if any, is in there from the manufacturer.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Crack 'er open, might be surprised. If you think it's might be a weak spring, they are only 4 bucks from Midway USA.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

A VERY light coat of oil is all that's needed on your bolt and it's parts, especially in cold weather, below 40 degree's. Nothing wrong with a little silicone or very light oil but excess oil or heavy oiling (or any grease) in cold weather is a bad combination for bolts and other moving parts. It can also attract dust and dirt and hold it where you don't want it to reside.

The Remington dry lubricant or any graphite or molybdenum-disulfide products are great for cold weather.

Hope you get your bolt/pin sliding smooth again.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:35 AM
bigcountry

This is the one fault I have with A-bolts. YOu need a special tool to take apart the bolt, unlike 700's and sako's, etc.

Never had a problem with my a-bolts, but the problem could happen.

cold weather does goofy things to oil. Especally firearms where people over do the oil.

Another possible problem is a short shouldered case.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do you

take the bolt out of the rifle and clean around the bolt.

I put a thin final spray of WD 40 on my rifles, after cleaning. I sprayed it on frozen door locks and auto locks, so they would work. Good in frozen conditions. Once shot a deer in minus 10 weather. Long before you newbies were born.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:54 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Valentine
take the bolt out of the rifle and clean around the bolt.

I put a thin final spray of WD 40 on my rifles, after cleaning. I sprayed it on frozen door locks and auto locks, so they would work. Good in frozen conditions. Once shot a deer in minus 10 weather. Long before you newbies were born.
WD40???? That stuff isn't good for much. Any good machinist or clock builder will tell ya. Much better products out there. WD40 will gunk up on you after a while. Its extremely poor as a corrosion protectant. considering they have totally redesigned WD40 in the past 20 years, they should call it WD41 or 42. So not sure if your arguement about newbies is valid.