Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Do I need a new caliber? >

Do I need a new caliber?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Do I need a new caliber?

Old 11-30-2009, 03:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Crow - There is an old adage that states "Be careful of the man with only one rifle - He probably knows how to use it." Your .270 is capable of taking deer and coyotes anywhere from point blank to "way out there".
But with that being said - There is absolutely no reason for you to need an excuse to get a new rifle. Maybe something smaller like the .243. For your purposes, I don't see the need for anything more potent than the .270. EXCEPT a fun gun like a 45-70 of something along those lines - you know, a fun gun. Or maybe a fast handling saddle gun like a Marlin 336, 1894, 1895 or Winchester 94 (A close copy now made by Mossberg)
Old 12-01-2009, 04:07 AM
Banned

Looks like the moderators don't agree that there is nothing wrong with your current set up, as they erased half of the thread. Your question was about he effectiveness of the 270 for coyotes and deer, not about what to carry in the woods. Some gun shop commandos believe your rifle is not suited for that terrain, even though you never mentioned what it was. Assuming that its a typical 20-22" rifle, with typical glass 3x9x40, it will suit you fine in that situation. I know this because that is my setup on a Model 70. I hunt the same types of areas and its perfect. You'll never jump shoot a coyote or sneak up on one for that matter so don't worry about he "brush buster" garbage.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Spike

270 is a great rifle for deer and coyote i shot both this year with a 270 but like 121553 said a 30-30 is nice to have around just in case
Old 12-08-2009, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

My question is what does "need" have to do with an excuse to buy another rifle. If your itching for another set go for it. Whatever you get will prob do just as good a job as the 270 or maybe a little better. If I only bought the set ups I "need" Id have maybe 3 rifles and what fun is that?
Old 12-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Duckbutter48
My question is what does "need" have to do with an excuse to buy another rifle. If your itching for another set go for it. Whatever you get will prob do just as good a job as the 270 or maybe a little better. If I only bought the set ups I "need" Id have maybe 3 rifles and what fun is that?

hell ya..the more the merrier !!!!!!
Old 12-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

True, the .270 isnt most folks choice for the relatively short distances you hunt, but has it worked well for you in the past? If it aint broke..
Your .270 doesnt vary much from my .308, and 90% of my hunting is the same sort of distances. I likewise selected a scope that would be best utilized like that... a 1.5x 5 variable. Too much magnification at close range can certainly be a drawback finding your game quickly in thick stuff.
I occaissionaly get an itch for a new gun, but what i have works, and works very well for quite some time now. It aint broken, so there isnt any fixin.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

Atleast on person has already said it but in my opinion the 270 is fine for what you are doing, How ever, why should any hunter limit themselves to one rifle? I believe savage and remington both make a "tactical" bolt action that has a short barrel and is chambered in 308. Or a nice lever or semi auto action. But yes, the 270 will do the job