Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
I dont see what all the fuss is about! >

I dont see what all the fuss is about!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I dont see what all the fuss is about!

Old 10-19-2009, 06:10 AM
Spike

Default I dont see what all the fuss is about!

I recently acquired a remington 700 lss 7mm ultra mag threw a trade. It was a unfortunate trade as someone sold me a piece of junk and didnt have the money to pay me back so I had to take this gun too make up for the 700 bucks he didnt have. The gun is beautiful and looks brand new. Has not had even a box of shells shot threw it. It has a very nice Nikon scope on it, not anything great or fancy but but then your run of the mill walmart scope. Ive read alot of the complaints about this caliber. One being the kick, second the lack of ammo and thirdly the barrel life. Well, number one the kick didnt seem all that bad too me. This is a heavy gun, long barrel and has a decent stock pad on it. I shot it in a tshirt and it didnt feel all that much more then my 06. Secondly the ammo is a problem, I only found one store in town that carrys one kind of shell and that was remington core loct bonded shells. So I bought them and decided I would look for shells online later. Thirdly, this gun will never be a range gun for me, It will get sited in before the season and probally only shot one-three times depending on if it needs adjusting. I will only be using this gun in one of my stands that requires long range shooting. So Im not real concerned about barrel life as it will last me a long time. So when I wrote whats the fuss all about, I was really teasing. The gun will serve its purpose and definately will do the job, but I can see why people stay away from it. The ammo issue is a huge one and its expensive too shoot. Also for those that like to shoot there guns over and over, no the barrel wouldnt last long. Positives are, i shot very good groupings at 100 and 200 yards, will try some 300 in the near future. Thanks for letting me ramble.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with you. I've never had a problem with weapons that supposedly had a lot of recoil. And I'm not what you would call a big dude. Plus, I see ammo for that gun every time I go to Bass Pro.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:17 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by freezito
I recently acquired a remington 700 lss 7mm ultra mag threw a trade. It was a unfortunate trade as someone sold me a piece of junk and didnt have the money to pay me back so I had to take this gun too make up for the 700 bucks he didnt have. The gun is beautiful and looks brand new. Has not had even a box of shells shot threw it. It has a very nice Nikon scope on it, not anything great or fancy but but then your run of the mill walmart scope. Ive read alot of the complaints about this caliber. One being the kick, second the lack of ammo and thirdly the barrel life. Well, number one the kick didnt seem all that bad too me. This is a heavy gun, long barrel and has a decent stock pad on it. I shot it in a tshirt and it didnt feel all that much more then my 06. Secondly the ammo is a problem, I only found one store in town that carrys one kind of shell and that was remington core loct bonded shells. So I bought them and decided I would look for shells online later. Thirdly, this gun will never be a range gun for me, It will get sited in before the season and probally only shot one-three times depending on if it needs adjusting. I will only be using this gun in one of my stands that requires long range shooting. So Im not real concerned about barrel life as it will last me a long time. So when I wrote whats the fuss all about, I was really teasing. The gun will serve its purpose and definately will do the job, but I can see why people stay away from it. The ammo issue is a huge one and its expensive too shoot. Also for those that like to shoot there guns over and over, no the barrel wouldnt last long. Positives are, i shot very good groupings at 100 and 200 yards, will try some 300 in the near future. Thanks for letting me ramble.
IMHO, I had the 7RUM a few years ago in a 700 Sendero and i loved it. The recoil, for me being a small person at 130 lbs, was not noticeable when i shot while hunting, it was only when at the range shooting multiple shots and even then it wasn't that bad (I was shooting a .243 before). I used the 140 gr core-loct ultra and killed 5 deer without fail, in honesty all dropped where they stood. The life of the barrel was/is getting bad raps from handloaders who were using 120gr bullets and shooting very rapidly, but even then the fps is only at 3700, considering most barrel burning calibers shoot above 4000 fps and still have a decent life. I got @1" groupings using factory ammo and never got to handload, but i'm sure if you take the time it could be a very great shooting hunting gun. One of the few guns i wish i still had for long range shots.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:08 AM
Fork Horn

For ammo check www.nosler.com www.midwayusa.com and www.cheaperthandirt.com thats some places that I get ammo for my 300 RUM
Old 10-20-2009, 08:13 AM
bigcountry

I don't think there is a fuss per sa. But a weapon like that is a waste shooting deer at 100 yards IMO. You can do it. I sure wouldn't waste my time. You can do that 308, 243, or even 30-30. Just really doesn't make too much sense to me to take out my RUM's or my STW for deer at short range. But I don't use them for that, I use them for moose and long range shooting. Thier intended use. Free country and all.

For one to utilize the long range potential of the RUM, STW's and even some weatherby cartridges, they must practice. And they must practice at long range somewhere around 300-600 yards. I would think it would pretty slobbish to take a weapon like that and fire 3 rounds a year and then expect to sling a 500 yard shot at an animal. I know before I used to go to Newfoundland, I would go thru 300-400 shot preparing for 300-500 yard shots. Understanding effects of wind even. Because just about anywhere you go in Canada, wind is going to be howling.

I am all for people using what they want, but its nice to ahve the right tool for the job. What I notice is its usually young folks wanting these RUM for deer. I remember when I was a youngster sitting in the barbershop looking at the field and stream wanting a 338weatherby, or 8mm for deer. It was just kids stuff.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most people who shoot calibers like that reload anyways. In addition to availability, ammo prices are just ridiculous for the rarer calibers.

I don't know what you're referring to as long shots but I hope your practice time is more than described if you're shooting any distance justifying that cartridge. I reloaded a lot of 300WM ammo last winter and I just ran out of practice shells as I prepare for next week's elk hunt (I shot one at almost 700yds last year).

As you described you got the rifle by chance and not because you were selecting it as the best cartridge for where you shoot. I'm sure it will do fine at any range you care to shoot, but the meat damage under 300 yards will be extreme if you hit anything normally edible.