Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
FAILURE TO FIRE - Remington Sluggers >

FAILURE TO FIRE - Remington Sluggers

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

FAILURE TO FIRE - Remington Sluggers

Old 10-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default FAILURE TO FIRE - Remington Sluggers

I know this has been an issue previously. Went to the range Sunday for some extensive firing of slugs in various slug guns prior to our firearms deer season which will open next month.

Had 3 rounds fail to fire. All Remington Sluggers. At first appearance it is obvious that the firing pin is not hitting the primer well (deep) enough.

I kept some of the spent Sluggers that had fired and showed deep pin impacts to their primers. In the past it was suspect that the primers may have been seated too deep. Well today I went to investigating and the first thing I took a notice to wat that the end of the brass appeared to be cupped or concave on the rounds that did not fire.

So I took a straight edge to the ends and sure enough you could see the cupping defined.

Great job Remington! It has been like 5 years that this BS has been going on and your QC has done nothing to correct it. Nada. Zero. Zilch.

My recommendation is that using Remington slugs is just asking for a failure to fire right when you really want it to fire.

Facts is facts.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

While I use Remington ammo exclusively in one of my rifles, I've heard of this problem with sluggers. I would contact Remington, get re-imbursed for the ammo, then never use it again. It's not like there aren't plenty of other good choices out there. If Remington wants a share of that market, they'll respond to low sales and many complaints.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks elgallo - but no thanks. I definately respect your opinion but Remington has been aware of this issue for years and years now. They have had ample opportunity to correct this issue and have obviously made a concious decision to do nothing about it. So they can lie in the bed they made and lose customers little by little.

For anyone intrested we also fired Federal Tru-Ball slugs and every single one of them fired perfectly. I put a straight edge across the back of their brass also and found it to be nice and flat.

FYI - Until November 1st, Gander Mountain has the Tru-Ball slugs on sale for $3.49 and there is then a $2.00 rebate per box to bring the total cost to $1.49/box. Haven't seen slugs for $1.49/box in a long, long time.

Rebate limit is 5 boxes per name, address or household. ( But there are always ways around that kind of stuff )
Old 10-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I quit using Remington slugs 25 years ago because they won't pattern worth a darn from my slug gun. My gun will give a 4-5" group at 100 yards with Winchester, and the Remington used to give me a 2 foot spread. I've been told that they've corrected the issues that caused the inaccuracy but I've been happy with Winchester and Federals. My rifles like core-lokts but I won't use their slugs.