Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ruger Mini 14??? >

Ruger Mini 14???

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger Mini 14???

Old 05-31-2009, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ruger Mini 14???

What's the real stroy on these rifles? I've never owned or shot one but was thinking about getting one. I've tried the ARthing 3 times and I just don't like them. Will I like the mini any better? Thanks.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ruger Mini 14???

Never had a mini-14 that shot worth a crap.Planning on a homemade A R build in the near future.Never had a AR that did not shoot reasonably well.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

no you won't, an average mini shoots 3" groups at 100 yards. I have 2 that will shoot as well as the black gun varminters, it took alot more money to get them to do it. For the money I have in them I could have bought 3 AR's with top level glass on them.
RR
What if I was keeping it for when the "chit hits the fan gun"? Would it be an okay combat gun? Or do I need to get another Busmaster. I don't think that I would ever use a AR or a Mini for hunting, I'm to much of a bolt guy. They are fun to shoot but I burn through to many $'s of ammo.However, if the chit hits the fan, we all need a chit hits the fan gun.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:47 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

no you won't, an average mini shoots 3" groups at 100 yards. I have 2 that will shoot as well as the black gun varminters, it took alot more money to get them to do it. For the money I have in them I could have bought 3 AR's with top level glass on them.
RR
What if I was keeping it for when the "chit hits the fan gun"? Would it be an okay combat gun? Or do I need to get another Busmaster. I don't think that I would ever use a AR or a Mini for hunting, I'm to much of a bolt guy. They are fun to shoot but I burn through to many $'s of ammo.However, if the chit hits the fan, we all need a chit hits the fan gun.
I think it would be fine for that purpose but as Ridge Runner said, they are not inherently accurate rifles, they can be but you have to work on them to get them to shoot good. For a SHTF purpose though, it will work. My SHTF guns are all SKS's and those aren't known for their stellar accuracy either, but they will work in a pinch for killing game (big and small) and for self and home protection in a SHTF situation.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

Luckydog,

my brother had one and they are a blast to shoot and very reliable. They are one of the standarss for people looking for an SHTF gun. I would take one in a heartbeat. What has been said is true they are combat/hunting accurate (pie plate at 100 yds). The problems with accuracy (based on reading web sites, and there are plenty of them) seemed mostly to be related to a lite, thin barrel. The most recent ranch rifles (last 2 years I think) have an improved barrel. Ruger now has a model that has several mods for target/varmit shooting. They also now come in the new 6.8mm rem spcl. I think they are great guns but I've always felt that the gun itself and the accessories are a bit overpriced and mags over 10 rnds are hard to find (I don't thinkRuger even makesthem, but could bewrong)and expensive. I was serious about getting one a few years ago and then decided to go with the Kel-tec SU16 becuase it was more accurate and less expensive, folded in half and used AR Mags. While I was saving up my money my dad gave me his SKS and solved the problem. I would still like to have one or an SU16, though.

Spud
Old 06-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Spike

I have a mini 14 and I have it set up for home defense/urban combat shooting. I have an Eotech HWS on it and it will do about 3 inch groups at 100 yards with cheap ammo under rapid fire. Plenty good enough to put someone on ice atshort range. I definitely would not be out squirrel hunting with it but it will do the trick for humans. I live in California and any AR style weapon is illegal here but the mini is fine as long as you do not have any mags over 10 rds.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:19 PM

You should like a mini14 if you never lose sight of what it is. I own a mini and an AR. I bought my stainless mini when I got out of college in 83 for $285.00. They are a HIGHLY reliable shooter. Mine has had never given me any issue. BUT theyare NOT an accurate rifle. Mine is a 3 inch at 100 with the iron blade sight...It always has been, always will be! They are well made, nicely sized, very reliable and one might even argue they are a classic with that Garand / M1A action. I know there are people who might get MOA with them who will take exception to what I am saying, but more often than not they are marginal when it comes to accuracy. If you want a reliable "bug out gun", then the mini fits the bill. I must say, if you can swing the $$'s for a good AR....they are SWEEEEEEET!
Old 06-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love my mini ranch rifle. I use to have it scoped, to use as a yote gun, and although I never measured a group, I know it shot at least 2" 5shot groups at 100yds, and I think if guys are shooting 3" groups w/ iron sights ,thats pretty good! One thing I can tell you is, that in the 1000 or so rnds I put through it, it never once jammed.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

nice little rifles....like the others said, not the most accurate...but functional and can get the job done...

i myself would go with an AK, L1A1, AR, SKS, etc first though...

my all time favorite would have to be the L1A1 (FAL) its basically an AK in 308...

excluding the AR, accuracy with any of the others isnt bench rest quality...but they arent really designed for it...they are designed to get lead where it needs to be and a good bit of it sent that direction in fairly short order...

the AR can be the most finicky of them all IMO...ive seen and played with enough to see many issues...usually gas adjustments needed etc..no biggie...but can be a headache of the shooter doesnt know about it...

i dont know what kinda price the minis fetch...but id bet you can get a decent AK for comparable price...and you can find mags and parts pretty readily...well...used to..dont know about current times....dont see many parts kits and mags for minis though...but ive never went lookin...
Old 06-03-2009, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

The mini 14 turned me off of Rugers for many years. They are known for three things
1. they will shoot just about any ammo any time any where....100% reliable

2. without spending a bunch of money they are only marginal for accuracy...mine was "barn wall" accurate at best (that is if you were standing in the barn you could possibly hit one wall with it)

3. and if you happen to have several thousand rds. of .223 ammo they will use it up in a hurry.

Bill Ruger should have been ashame to sell that thing to me.

Quick Reply: Ruger Mini 14???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.