HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ruger Mini 14???
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 12:24 PM
spuddog
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ruger Mini 14???

Luckydog,

my brother had one and they are a blast to shoot and very reliable. They are one of the standarss for people looking for an SHTF gun. I would take one in a heartbeat. What has been said is true they are combat/hunting accurate (pie plate at 100 yds). The problems with accuracy (based on reading web sites, and there are plenty of them) seemed mostly to be related to a lite, thin barrel. The most recent ranch rifles (last 2 years I think) have an improved barrel. Ruger now has a model that has several mods for target/varmit shooting. They also now come in the new 6.8mm rem spcl. I think they are great guns but I've always felt that the gun itself and the accessories are a bit overpriced and mags over 10 rnds are hard to find (I don't thinkRuger even makesthem, but could bewrong)and expensive. I was serious about getting one a few years ago and then decided to go with the Kel-tec SU16 becuase it was more accurate and less expensive, folded in half and used AR Mags. While I was saving up my money my dad gave me his SKS and solved the problem. I would still like to have one or an SU16, though.

Spud