Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Allround calibre for everything from ptarmigans to deer? >

Allround calibre for everything from ptarmigans to deer?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Allround calibre for everything from ptarmigans to deer?

Old 06-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Allround calibre for everything from ptarmigans to deer?

Arne,

Yes. I think we all understood what you currently are using, but most are saying it is not practical to shoot small game with a centerfire rifle. That is why we are recomending using your shot gun for small game and use either a combo gun or a slug barrel for deer sized game. I did a quick search on the internet and couldn't find anything to tell me that there are any interchangable barrels for your gun. I did see however that the same company (looks like the same platform) makes a combo gun with a 12 ga barrel on the bottom and a 30.06 barrel on top.

Hope this helps. By the way, where the heck are you?

Spud
Old 06-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

You already said you wanted to buy a rifle. What we're saying is buy another shotgun instead. Get a pump action 12 gauge combo gun that will come with both a rifled slug barrel and a smooth bore barrel with removable choke tubes (though the O/U you already have would make an excellent upland game gun). Having two barrels allows you to use the barrel best suited to the game. You'd install the rifled barrel and shoot sabot slugs for deer and other big game, then switch to the smoothbore barrel and the appropriate birdshot for birds and small game. With choke tubes you can use the right choke for the type of game and hunting you're doing. If you want more range, you'd want to use a premium heavy field load with harder shot and use a full choke tube. This would give you 40-50 yards on a pheasant, and maybe 60 on a grouse if you are a really good shot or shooting at a grounded bird.

I'm not really sure what you are trying to accomplish, but it sounds to me like you're a kid and you just was a CF rifle so you can go out and kill stuff from a long distance, and you don't really care about the ethics of blasting GAME animals just for s**ts and giggles with no real intention of recovering them for consumption. If that's the case, then I really think that you've come to the wrong place to ask your question. This is a HUNTING FORUM, filled with HUNTERS, most of whom actually care about ethical stewardship if the game we hunt. If you just want a CF rifle so you can watch stuff die edible game animals die from a distance, then that makes you, at best, a slob "hunter". At worst, that makes you a poacher. Either way, you give the rest of us a bad name.

If you really wanted to HUNT small game, and hunting game animals ethically includes eating what you kill whenever possible, then you'd be interested in doing it the right way so that you'd have something left to eat. If all you want to do is kill stuff, go get yourself a .223 and go find a rancher with a prairie dog problem and blast away, but if you want to hunt game animals, why not do it correctly so you have something left to eat when you get back to the house. A CF rifle is NOT an appropriate weapon for hunting small game animals and never will be. If a .22LR is illegal to hunt small game with where you are (which I actually doubt), but .22WMR is legal, then get a .22 WMR or just use the shotgun you have. If you want to hunt deer, get a CF rifle or .243 caliber or bigger and have at it. But what you ask for just isn't realistic. There just is no such thing as a single cartridge that will ethically harvest anything unless you are willing to accept the range limitations of a shotgun.

Mike

Old 06-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get yourself one of these and you'll be all set:

Mossberg Model 500 12 gauge Deer/Field Combo package, MSRP $401. The actually street price you'd pay at the dealer would be around $325-350.

Mike

Old 06-03-2009, 01:58 AM

I realize that it might not sound that way, but im not just a kid eager to kill something and see it suffer. I've always hunted humaneously, and when i've hunted with a shotgun, i've always been quick with a second shot in case its still alive. So im not a sadistic killer if thats what you think! Most animals ive hunted was dead on the first shot, with all the meat intact. And I intend to let it stay that way! Ive seen a hare hunted with an 30-06 hollow point. And it isnt a good sight.

For those who wonder, I'm at the moment situated in Norway, but I'll be staying in Missouri next year. In Norway the law says that you can't hunt animals larger or equal to hare with a .22lr.

You can't hunt red deers with slugs either, im afraid. It turns out that you can't hunt anything larger than roe deer with slugs, unfortunately.

I realize that I need several rifles and shotguns, and there isn't a definite answer for me. The first thing i'll buy buy is a .223 or .22lr for target shooting and maybe some small game hunting (not for small birds). Then I'd probably buy a .270 or a 30-06 for deers and elk .

And please don't accuse me for not paying enaugh attention to ethics and the wealth of animals. And regarding being a kid, you may think that I have a somewhat childish language, and the reason for this is that im not a native english speaker.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt with a .22 Hornet its currently the only centerfire I own. I kill rabbits to hogs to deer with it. Cheap to reload too. a lb of powder goes a long way in this little caliber. Dont know what your laws are but here any centerfire is legal for deer.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

Arne,

Wow, I'd love to see where you hunt. I hear it's beautiful. Your plan sounds good based on what you hunt. I have an old (1953) Husqvarna in 270 and love it. Good hunting!

Spud
Old 06-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

7mm Rem Mag.
For deer at close to medium range I shoot the Remington 50% recoil 140 grainCore Loct and for longer distance I shoot Hornady Custom 139gr. And I can hunt anything in North America and mosteven in Africa.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:20 PM

Well yes, but I think Ive made my decition, namely moving to the US and buy all the guns I could dream of...
Old 06-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

Remington Does make an Over under rifle and shotgun combo gun. Chambered in both 12ga or 20ga for shotgun and an assortment of Rifle calibers. 30-06 being the largest. I do believe it is also available in .223 and .308 as well. That would be a good do-all rifle for your situation when bird and game hunting. Or like you said just move here to the US and solve your problems with the restrictive gun laws you are dealing with in your country.