Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Shotgun question??? >

Shotgun question???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shotgun question???

Old 05-11-2009, 07:47 PM

Default RE: Shotgun question???

Me either, I just love my Maverick 88 I have just not had any problems with it other than my 15 year old son wants to shoot it all the time now instead of his single shot!!!
Old 05-14-2009, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can get a new 870 Super Mag in camo all day for $327 at Wal-Mart.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can get a new 870 Super Mag in camo all day for $327 at Wal-Mart
YepI bought one for a turkey rig for next season. Remington has lenghthened the forcing cone in these 870 Super mags in realtree Hardwoods with the 26 inch barrel. I gave the barrel a little polishing and slapped an Indian Creek choke in mine and it is consistently putting 160 pellets from a 3.5 inch Winchester Elite number 6 inside a 10 inch circle at 40 yards. 104 pellets inside a 10 inch circle at 50 yards. That is red hot smoking turkey death right there.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had one of these and they do not have a very good finish at all. Some guys have reported rusting issues. I never had that but I will admit the finish was crap and the wood got beat up really easily. Well, lets rephrase that the finish came off the wood really easily.

The other problem I have is this thing jammed quite often. I finally figured out the issue shooting 2 3/4" shells was that the chamber needed polishing. Something that should have been done from the factory. This still didn't fix the random jams with 3" or 3 1/2" shells like where it would trying to send two into the chamber, fail to catch the old one to eject it, stovepipes, or any other type of random jam it had. It did this some with 2 3/4" but not as often. If I shot it 20 times without 2 or 3 jams I was doing good.

After having one I can't say I'd recommend this gun at all. If I was to get a 870 it would be a Wingmaster and only a Wingmaster. If you do a search on various other forums like The High Road you will see lots of problems with the expresses being posted. Even some of the guys who love and talk about how good the express is will admit that the Super Magnum versions seem to have issues.

I think there are better guns out there for the money. Remingtons quality has not impressed me on much of anything.