Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Top shooting myths? >

Top shooting myths?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Top shooting myths?

Old 05-07-2009, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Top shooting myths?

How about I need to lighter faster bullets to shoot longer ranges?
Old 05-07-2009, 04:57 AM
Typical Buck

That you need mulitple rifles to hunt multiple biggame. That's my myth for the day.

Give me a guy to take hunting that has used one rifle all his life and I have already gained confidence in his abilities.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:07 AM

The one that I hate the most is -
shooting a bigger gun makes you a better ______ (hunter, marksman, man, makes up for poor shooting, etc, etc...- take your pick)

Another one that I hear a lot is -
I only target shoot at 100yds but routinely take game at 300+

Old 05-07-2009, 05:47 AM
Typical Buck

I change my mind why can't we have a lil fun in the facts.

hunting shots.
1. The deer jumped because it heard my shot.
2. The texass heart shot is better because you get all the vitals.
3. Elk need armor piercing bullets
4. The 50 bmg should be enough gun for chipmunks.
5. The bear thanked god it was a 416 rigby that punched his lights out.

bench shots.
1. wow did you see how big the silouettes were this time?
2. My rifle kick doesn't make me flinch but I broke my nose.
3. It only took me 25 minutes to take that shot and the target moved.
4. My 100lb wife can shoot my 460 weatherby no problem, we just put lead shot in her shoes.
5. I would post a picture of my last group but the wind mysteriously blew it away.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:24 AM

ORIGINAL: Uncle Mike

Military snipers launching .308 bullets routinely make hits on man sized targets at 1000 yards!-

That one might be true, they expanded what counts as a "hit" a few years ago. It used to only count if you got one in the "T" but now anything in the bottle counts. Also maybe depends on what you call routine.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

top five for me

1. You can learn everything you ever needed to know about guns, handloading, ballistics, safety and hunting from the internet without ever having to actually do any of these things.

2. There is some mythically huge difference in the strength and or accuracy of the common, comparative factory bolt center fire rifle right out of the box.

3. In the gun world the word "better" is freely used and rarely understood. ie...".280 is better than .270" ".223 is better than .204" "30-06 is better than .308" At no point "better" is defined just suggested. Who knows what the hell is meant by 'better'.

4. Using the same chambering that some hack writer uses in a magazine to hunt with never ensures the same most excellent results as he gets.

5. Good shooters make good hunters.

I can only think of several hundred more but you only asked for five.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah....Here's a goodie from loooong ago..."A longer shotgun barrel will help you kill game at longer ranges." May have been true back in the black powder days, but not anymore. Another good one...."The deer ducked the bullet."
There are lots more....some dandys have been posted here already.......
Old 05-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Uncle Mike

Military snipers launching .308 bullets routinely make hits on man sized targetsat 1000 yards!-

All snipers, every time... make one shot, one kill-

A .357 Magnum fired from a 2" barrel is BETTER than a .38 Spl. from the same length barrel-

Because Remington actions are used to build custom rifles more than other manufacturers actions... Remington rifles are the most accurate out of the box rifles!-(I like that one) hehehe

If you do not indoctrinate some kind of elaborate barrel break-in proceedure... your rifle barrel will be ruined and it will never shoot better than 2" at 100 yards!-

If wecan justget rid of all the guns... mankind will exist in peace and harmony, for ever and ever... with suger and spice on it... xoxoxo Blah-

And lastly... My dads brothers uncles next door neighbors wifes cousins freind has a _________ (insert type of firearm) that will shoot .125" at 500 yards... in the wind, up hill, at night on a Monday mourning- hehehe

See Ya-
Do you actually know any or have any experience with military snipers?
Old 05-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

A common misunderstanding I encounter is the idea that if the shooter will just hold true, the bullet will go into the same hole at a distance (pick your range -- 100 yards will work). There is a lack of understanding of the statistical variation that happens in all gun/ammo combinations -- notwithstanding variations related to temperature, wind, etc. A manifestation of this error is to shoot one shot, hit the bullseye dead center (or on the centerline, 2" inches high, if that is your desired 100-yard hit point), and declare all is well and sighted in on the strength of that one data point. One data point doesn't tell you anything.

Another common misunderstanding is to think that different loads will shoot to the same aimpoint in one gun or that the same load will behave the same in different guns, for example, the same load will have the same group size shot from a first .25-06 rifle as from a second .25-06 rifle.

Finally, and this may be the most important thing, and I'm not sure I've seen anyone address it above, most shooters are piss poor shooters when it comes right down to it. I have humility in this area and will be happy to include myself in this category. I will not be telling you that I'm a first shot in the vitals at 300 yards or less shooter. I'll shoot to 250 yards, but I'm not guaranteeing it will be in the vitals. I'm more hoping than knowing. A 300 yard shot -- unless it is from prone or some other stable rest -- is better passed by me than taken. To hear people talk, they are all expert shooters, but most are up against it to make a reliable hit in the vitals at 100 yards from a field shooting position (sitting or kneeling -- forget about off-hand). I practice and shoot on the range from field positions: this is what my self-appraisel is based on. It is also based on the occasional 250 yard miss and the 150 yard shot which downed the buck but didn't kill it before I walked up and gave it the coup de grace (I expect the middling sized buck to die from a .25-06 if it werehit in the vitals before I can walk that 150 yards, hence I must not have hit right in the vitals). Where are these other folks hitting who don't even take their guns out for practice from one deer hunting season to the next? People who are obviously not skilled and/or practiced at shooting are forever saying they can't abide by the .30-06 because it doesn't have enough power out to 300 yards, or out to 400 yards. But yet, these jokers have no business shooting out to those ranges in the first place. For most hunters 250 yards or even 200 yards is the practical and ethical limit of their shooting range, and for this range the .30-06 (and other less than super flat cartridges) is plenty flat shooting enough.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is my favorite one of all time.

"I know exactly where I hit the deer, and it was a good hit".

After that I ask them why didn't they recover the deer. And I plainly ask how does a deer live without a Heart??

And they reply I do not know. "But I watched it hit him". That is my second favorite. However I do not know if it is a reason or an excuse.

However I may be wrong. Maybe a deer really does not need a heart??

It always amazes me how a hunter knows exactly where he hit the animal without a recovery. Maybe he has a crystal ball?? Tom.

Quick Reply: Top shooting myths?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.