Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 My nephew bought a gun and I don't know much about it. >

My nephew bought a gun and I don't know much about it.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

My nephew bought a gun and I don't know much about it.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: My nephew bought a gun and I don't know much about it.

Thanks guys for the info. I will pass this on to my nephew.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Besides the point already made about the black cap (not on the original -- no pistol grip cap, no forend cap, no cap on butt -- maybea flat metal plate), the original bolts were not compatible with telescopic sights and has probably been modified.

Nevertheless, many fine sporterized or even custom rifles were made based on the military .30-06 action and barrel. I have one of these that my dad sporterized that is beautiful and shoots very well. It doesn't have to be a collectible to give great hunting service, which is probably why your nephew bought it.

I understand that some early .30-06 military rifles were subject to unreliable heat treating, and actions on such early issue rifles can be subject to catastrophic failure when shooting "high power" rounds. What is a "high power" round? Something more powerful than your average ordinary .30-06 commercial off-the-shelf loading, for example a handload that is pushing the upper edge of the envelope. I think this is a matter that can be resolved objectively based on the serial numbers located on the actions. Seems like serial numbers less than about 240,000 are subject to this possible flaw. Doesn't mean every one of these low number actions will fail, but some will -- it is a variability in manufacturing that was not understood well at the time of early production. Others of greater erudition in this subject can probably provide further guidance on this subject -- I'm reciting this information from memory, and it may not be entirely spot on.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

It was an infantry weapon used in WWI and a sniper rifle used in WWII
Old 05-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I understand that some early .30-06 military rifles were subject to unreliable heat treating, and actions on such early issue rifles can be subject to catastrophic failure when shooting "high power" rounds. What is a "high power" round? Something more powerful than your average ordinary .30-06 commercial off-the-shelf loading, for example a handload that is pushing the upper edge of the envelope. I think this is a matter that can be resolved objectively based on the serial numbers located on the actions. Seems like serial numbers less than about 240,000 are subject to this possible flaw. Doesn't mean every one of these low number actions will fail, but some will -- it is a variability in manufacturing that was not understood well at the time of early production. Others of greater erudition in this subject can probably provide further guidance on this subject -- I'm reciting this information from memory, and it may not be entirely spot on.
There's a whole lot of controversy sorrounding the 'low number springfields' -some claim they are safe to shoot with the idea if the receiver was weak, it would have blown up long ago, others say they are a grenade just waiting to go off. Noone really knows how many were made, a few were found brittle from over herat treating and a few more actually blew up with use. There was a cut-off point with the serial numbers from Rock Island Armory and Springfield armory where the heat treating was standardized, and everything before these numbers were potential weak receivers, though its likely that out of the several hundred thousand low number receivers, its likely than a relatively small percentage were dangerous.

The Remington (along with other manufacturers) 1903A1s and 1903A3s were made later and didn't have this problem.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Site Bouncer

As others have said, what your nephew has is a sporterized 03A3 made by Remington. The USGI 03A3's were made by Remington and Smith Corona (Yes the typewriter Co.) Smith was also the same Smith in L.C.Smith the maker of fine side by side shotguns...I digress.

Back to the 03A3's....They are a very strong and reliable action and should provide years of good service. As stated a nice example in "correct" military configuration will fetch up wards of $750.00 - $1,000.00. An all original, never taken apart, never been through an arsenal (most have) will fetch quite a bit more.To find an unaltered example is rare indeed. Most think they have an original but you would be surprised how many "tell tale" signs will let an experienced collector know it's not.

I have both in my collection (sporterized and USGI configuration) I prefer the originals better but I've had to "rescue" some pretty rough "bubba" jobs over the years. I put a whole lot of money into them....far more than I could ever get back selling them but they turned out to be great hunting rifles.

Tell your nephew congrats on a great rifle.

Here is a Smith Corona 03A3 re chambered to .300 Win Mag. The receiver and barrel are both USGI original and this rifle shoots like a dream! Yep it's a super strong action!

Another pic...

Here a couple more sporters...

Remington 03A3 with original USGI .30-06 barrel

Here is a Cech Mauser re barreled to .270

This last pic is how I prefer my 1903's and 03A3's.....

Old 05-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I made a .308 Norma out of my 03A3. It had all milled parts, and a 4-groove barrel. I had it stocked in French walnut by Paul Jaeger, engine-turned the bolt & magazine follower and the result was fantastic. It made a good bear rifle in AK!
Old 05-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Typical Buck

those are some beautifull rifles thanks for showing them to us. Thanks again to all for the info. I was able to give my nephew so much info he lost interest. [ he's young yet]