Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 My nephew bought a gun and I don't know much about it. >

My nephew bought a gun and I don't know much about it.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

My nephew bought a gun and I don't know much about it.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default My nephew bought a gun and I don't know much about it.

He bought an old rifle from his uncle. He thought it was just some old no name gun. When he took the scope off of it , he could read the name on it. It read[ U.S. Remington Model 03-A]. Anybody know this gun. It is a 30-06 bolt action rifle. I know it is old but not how old it is. It has a few knicks in the wood and some dummy carved his initials in the black cap under the grip.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My nephew bought a gun and I don't know much about it.

What he has there is probably a U.S. Springfield Model 1903-A3 rifle made by Remington (they were made be several companies for the U.S. Government, Remington being one of them). If this rifle is in good condition and not sporterized (altered from it's military configuration for sporting use), it would be worth a pretty penny on todays market. A specimen in very good condition with matching numbers will sell these days for well over $1000, and even a arsenal rebuilt gun is worth $500-600 unless it's in very poor condition. The '03-A3 has in recent years gotten a lot for scarce on the surplus market, and demand is high. I'd like to know what he paid his uncle for it. If he paid any less than $500 for a military original 1903-A3, he practically stole it. A sporterized rifle will usually run from low $300's for a bubbized rifle, to thousands for a finely build custom rifle on an '03-A3 action.

I'd like to see some pictures to be sure of the identification, but I'm 95% sure it's an '03-A3.

Mike
Old 05-05-2009, 02:15 PM
Typical Buck

I did a little search. Is there an 03-a1? He paid $125.00 for it. like I said before ,it has some marks on it. It has been drilled and tapped for a scope mount. Unless it was made that way.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the rifle has a ladder type rear sight mounted in front of the receiver, then it's an '03-A1, if it has a peep sight mounted at the rear of the receiver (possibly removed to mount the scope), then it's an '03-A3.

Here's an '03-A1:

Here's an '03-A3:

Note the difference in the sights/top wood on the stock.

Oh, and for $125, he still stole it unless it's in really poor shape or badly modified. He could easily sell just the action for 3 times that much as the basis for a custom gun, but I wouldn't unless the barrel and stock have already been sporterized.

Mike
Old 05-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: driftrider

If the rifle has a ladder type rear sight mounted in front of the receiver, then it's an '03-A1, if it has a peep sight mounted at the rear of the receiver (possibly removed to mount the scope), then it's an '03-A3.

Here's an '03-A1:

Here's an '03-A3:

Note the difference in the sights/top wood on the stock.

Oh, and for $125, he still stole it unless it's in really poor shape or badly modified. He could easily sell just the action for 3 times that much as the basis for a custom gun, but I wouldn't unless the barrel and stock have already been sporterized.

Mike
Agree and they are usually excellent shooters and make great hunting rifles to sporterize.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Typical Buck

I just took pics of my monitor and sent them to my nephew. I don't know what the gun looks like. I can only give you his description. I hope to get pics of it soon. It sounds like it has been modified already.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the help guys. I forgot to say that on my last post.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: standsleeper

Thanks for the help guys. I forgot to say that on my last post.
No problem at all. Most people around here are glad to help any way they can.

Mike

Old 05-06-2009, 05:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

IF it has a black cap under the grip, it sounds like it has n after-market stock rather than the military one which had a straight grip. If so, it has been altered from its' military pattern. That would mess up any collector value. But it will be a great shooter! The 03-A1's had all milled parts, the A3's have some stampings, such as the trigger guard/floorplate assembly.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know it is old but not how old it is. It has a few knicks in the wood and some dummy carved his initials in the black cap under the grip.
No big loss, its an aftermarket stock. Original military stocks + hardware can cost upwards of $300 these days however.

The rifle should shoot very well, if not, try shimming the barrel up at the foreend with cork or business cards- these rifles usuallyshoot best with the barrels pressure bedded.

Quick Reply: My nephew bought a gun and I don't know much about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.