Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My Nephew got a bow >

My Nephew got a bow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My Nephew got a bow

Old 08-28-2006, 01:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default My Nephew got a bow

I was thinking about getting my nephew for a bow for his birthday which is on september first, but I didn't think his parents would appreciate it. Well I was talking to my mom today and she told me his dad already bought him one and they went out shooting yesterday.. I guess he loves it. So now I am trying to think of something that I can get him too use for it,,,like a target or something. I don't know if it is a compound or just one of the recurves,,,I am guessing a recurve since he is just turning 7.

Is there any cheapo deer targets that I could get him? Now I can't wait to get my bow and take him out shooting
Old 08-28-2006, 01:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: My Nephew got a bow

thats awesome! keep him interested and headed in the right direction!!

walmart sells 3d deer for around 80$..about the cheapest ive seen a 3d go. next year though he should be about ready for a small compound. good luck with him!!
Old 08-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Typical Buck

Oh trust me, I am probably more excited about it than he is. I talked to my sister and it sounds like he needs a rest of some sort, and an arm guard...she said the guard that came with it was just a cheapo one. So I am gonna get him a nice camo one. I am going to ask them if it would be alright if he came out and sat with me hunting a couple times this year. I think him being able to see the deer in the wild would really spark an interest in hunting, and he is mature enough where he would just sit there for quite a while with me. It amazes me how mature he actually is for his age. I am so darn excited, looks like I will have a new hunting partner in a couple years...now if his dad would just get the patience for bowhunting
Old 08-28-2006, 02:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

thats great....hope they allow you to take him. having someone willing to spend the time with him is very important. look how i turned out! lol. dad spent time with me since i could walk. started out fishing. then walking in the woods and him showing me game sign etc. then hanging stands. small game hunting etc. at 4 or 5 i was shooting a BB gun. as well as a 22, and i remember dad letting me shoot a revolver once and i about dropped it. also around the same age i was shooting a long bow style compound bow. it had a 9lb draw weight. no rest..no sights..nothing lol. but dad said i was deadly with it. he got out of archery because he didnt have the time to put into it right when i should been getting a real bow. i now loveeeeeee to hunt and fish and thats all i want to do. ive always wanted to get into archery again...finally did at 19! out of all my childhood memories the things i remember most are of trips with dad. he got me sent in the right direction and i took off. but dont be surprised to loose your hunting partner quick. i LOVE hunting and fishing with dad. but we both work alot. between work and school our schedules havent met up much at all since i was 16. sad...but nothing we can do about it. im glad dad took all the time he did to teach me what he knows. good luck and have fun!! he will remember all you did for the rest of his life.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:32 PM
Typical Buck

That is what I was thinking. I am hoping that I will be able to get out and do some scouting with him this weekend after his birthday party. I plan on just sitting in the pickup and watching where they come out of the woods to eat and seeing what kind of deer are out there. I would love to go out in the woods and walk through with him, but I don't know if it has gotten cold enough to kill off the ticks yet this year. So I might have to wait until further into fall to do that with him. I know he is going to love it, I remember when he was real young and I would come home from bowhunting he would talk to me about it, then when I showed him the buck I shot last year he gota pretty big smile on his face.
His dad is going up to northern minnesota this weekend for bear hunting, so I think he is going to have at least 2 influences as far as hunting goes. I just hope that it is something that he is interested in. I am not going to try to force him into it, but I don't think it will take much persuasion to get him out there. Now I am going to be antsy to get my new bow so I can take him out practicing..