Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 22LR Ammo & WAX >

22LR Ammo & WAX

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

22LR Ammo & WAX

Old 03-31-2009, 10:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default 22LR Ammo & WAX

So ive been reading up on how some 22LR manufactures coat the bullets with wax. Also read this wax can clog up your rifling.

I saw also a youtube video with someone claiming the wax from a 22 Thunderbolt round ruined his Ruger Mark III Pistol

Anyone had any experience with this? Lots of guys I know are shooting Federal and CCI loads from their pistols and are having pretty good luck.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:44 AM

Default RE: 22LR Ammo & WAX

I know that when I was a kid it seemed liked almost all 22LR ammo had sometype of a wax coating on the bullet. Is it(was it) really wax, I don't know. I dont recall having any problems.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

i actually just noticed that 22 bullets are coated by what i thought was wax the other day...just got bored and scratched one with my finger nail....

i cant see how wax would ruin a barrel....ive got atleast 5000 rounds through my buckmark and it still shoots great...most have been CCI mini-mags, which are coated because that is what i felt the coating on the other day.....most guys dont even clean their 22 bores...

anyone know what the wax if for?? my guess is to seal the bullet onto the case?? i dont know..i know the cheaper bullets you can spin in the case by hand....

heck, thinking about it, my round ball patches for the flintlock are pretty much wax....i actually coat the bore in it after cleaning to protect it and help keep the fouling soft and loading easier...

Old 03-31-2009, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whoever said the lubricant coating on .22 rimfire bullets ruined a gun is OUTRIGHT LYING! It's physically impossible for that to happen. .22 short/long/long rifle bullets are outside lubricated-same as any cast bullet you will see today. So shoot all you want and don't worry other than doing normal cleaning. It's a combination of bullet lube and powder residue that gum up the actions of .22s that are not cleaned regularly (especially semiautos) BUT will NOT ruin them.

ORIGINAL: CarpetBagger

So ive been reading up on how some 22LR manufactures coat the bullets with wax. Also read this wax can clog up your rifling.

I saw also a youtube video with someone claiming the wax from a 22 Thunderbolt round ruined his Ruger Mark III Pistol

Anyone had any experience with this? Lots of guys I know are shooting Federal and CCI loads from their pistols and are having pretty good luck.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would think the heat from multiple shots would melt the wax enough for the pressure behind the bullet to blow it out.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CarpetBagger

Have the dude send me the ruined pistol.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjbsuJhr_zE
Old 03-31-2009, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

I actually watched this video last weekend when searching for info on 22/45's. I laughedin absolute disbelief, and here's why.

I bought my stainless 22/45 two years ago from a guy who never cleaned or took care of it, and said it was a lousy gun. It was filthy, and the barrel was coated with lead fouling and residue -- I could hardly see the rifling. When I was a teenager, an old gunsmith in my home towntold me that "you can neverhurt the rifling in a .22" I remembered those words,andlow-balled a$100 offer. He took it!

I took it home, tore it apart, and scrubbed it forever with Breakfree CLP and awire and nylonbrush. When I was done,the bore and rifling looked brand new,and it isa great shooting, very accurategun.

I shoot Remington Thunderbolts at the rangeall the time because they are cheap.Only common problemI've encounteredare misfires, bothwith my 22/45 and Buckmark. Thunderbolts have never made my barrel look like that video, even after500 rounds. I also shoot them through my Winchester Model 52, and they have never caused a problem.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot Remington Thunderbolts at the rangeall the time because they are cheap.Only common problemI've encounteredare misfires, bothwith my 22/45 and Buckmark. Thunderbolts have never made my barrel look like that video, even after500 rounds. I also shoot them through my Winchester Model 52, and they have never caused a problem.
I have the same problem with the Remington shells in my Mark II so I usually use Federal now. I've run several thousand rounds through my guns and only clean them once a year or some. I've never had any problem with any kind of coating on the bullets.