Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Best way to prevent scope cut from recoil? >

Best way to prevent scope cut from recoil?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best way to prevent scope cut from recoil?

Old 03-22-2009, 05:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Best way to prevent scope cut from recoil?

ORIGINAL: driftrider

First, select a scope that has at least 3" of eye relief at the maximum magnification. Then make sure you mount the scope so that it is in the correct position for you when you mount the rifle. When you shoulder the rifle you should see a full, bright and clear view through the scope without having to move your eye forward or back on the stock. Shoulder the rifle naturally and adjust the scopes position for you.

Then at the range when shooting from a bench, be mindful of the fact that most people tend to creep forward on the stock. When shooting from the bench, pay attention to the image in the scope. If it looks like it's closing up on the edges (tunnel vision), or is dim and fuzzy at the edges, you're head is in the wrong place. Move so you see a full, clear image in the scope.

The best suggestion would be to not shoot off the bench or from the prone position too much. These positions tend to put the shooters face closer to the scope than offhand, sitting or kneeling. If you do plan on shooting this rifle a lot off the bench, I'd consider having a muzzle brake installed. With a cartridge like the .300 RUM you would likely see a roughly 50% reduction in recoil, making the 300 RUM kick a lot like a .30-06.

The best thing you can do it just be careful to shoulder the rifle correctly and have the scope mounted correctly to take full advantage of its eye relief.

Mike
The problem with variable power scopes is that most have pretty short eye relief at the higher power settings. I don't think 3" is enough!

The "scout" setup would work, but the only such rig I ever tried that I liked was the Steyr Mannlicher scout rifle. And it has a peculiar stock design.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get a scope with decent eye relief (3.5-4 inches) and don't "stock crawl". I don't like scout type scopes. Generally, the FOV on these is limited.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't go cheap on the scope so that it has plenty of eye relief. Also check on a Quake Rifle Scope Eye Scope Recoil PadI put one on my Weatherby.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:16 AM
Fork Horn

Just get the crosshairs where ya want them and then yank your head away at the last second as you pull the trigger
Old 03-25-2009, 12:20 AM
Fork Horn

Seriously though, I have VX-II Leupys on a 300RUM and a 300Roy and have never been scope kissed. Like everyone has pointed out, the Leupolds allow you to mount your scope a bit further forward and still keep your full sight picture.

Good luck,

Brett
Old 03-25-2009, 03:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a bull at 75 yards one morning. I eased my rifle up, put the cross hairs on him and pulled the trigger. The Remington 700 could only go click because I didn't have a round in the chamber. The bull definitely heard the click and was staring straight at me. I got the worst case of buck fever you have ever seen. I was shaking so hard and so fast and it took me so long to get a round in the chamber the bull was lucky he didn't die from laughing his ass off. I finaly pulled the ol' Remington back to it's intended target shaking like there was no tomorrow. I fired that 30.06 and when I did I had forgotten every single piece of teaching my dad had taught me over the years. That scope caught me in the eye and the nose and I was bleeding like a stuck pig. I don't know why I was able to harvest that bull that day, I think I gave God such a good laugh he thought I deserved the meat.

I've been shooting high powered scoped rifles since I was 12 so about 38 years. The only time one ever got ahold of me was the story above. If you get a bad case of the fever, slow down and rember what you have learned. Buck fever is the main reason I've seen for scope eye.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:12 AM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-21-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ron Duval

I have only been bumped once. It was a 7mm Rem Mag with a Leupold 3.5x10 which I normally would not even think of as a combination that could even come close to getting me. Not a heavy kicking rifle and a scope with great eye relief usually means "no problem", and getting whacked by the scope never crossed my mind. The problem was the shot angle. It was an extreme uphill shot at a very nice buck. Holding for such an awkward shot put my face in a bad place. It was just a bump (not a cut) but it taught me a lesson.
Who cares about your eye!!! DID YOU GET THE BUCK?
Old 03-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-21-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

I always hunt with a pair of safety glasses -- sunshade type for bright days, yellow for cloudy, and clear at dusk or whenever. It's become a habitfrom many years ofshooting at the gun club, and I just don't feel rightunless I'm wearing them.