HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best way to prevent scope cut from recoil?
Old 03-25-2009, 03:36 AM
Colorado Luckydog
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best way to prevent scope cut from recoil?

I had a bull at 75 yards one morning. I eased my rifle up, put the cross hairs on him and pulled the trigger. The Remington 700 could only go click because I didn't have a round in the chamber. The bull definitely heard the click and was staring straight at me. I got the worst case of buck fever you have ever seen. I was shaking so hard and so fast and it took me so long to get a round in the chamber the bull was lucky he didn't die from laughing his ass off. I finaly pulled the ol' Remington back to it's intended target shaking like there was no tomorrow. I fired that 30.06 and when I did I had forgotten every single piece of teaching my dad had taught me over the years. That scope caught me in the eye and the nose and I was bleeding like a stuck pig. I don't know why I was able to harvest that bull that day, I think I gave God such a good laugh he thought I deserved the meat.

I've been shooting high powered scoped rifles since I was 12 so about 38 years. The only time one ever got ahold of me was the story above. If you get a bad case of the fever, slow down and rember what you have learned. Buck fever is the main reason I've seen for scope eye.