Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Need a scope that can handle recoil. >

Need a scope that can handle recoil.

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Need a scope that can handle recoil.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need a scope that can handle recoil.

Well my wife caught me caressing a Weatherby Vangaurd Deluxe in 300 WBYfor $500a few weeks ago and asked if I wanted it for Christmas. I said YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and it stayed inthe case usold for several weeks.I went out of town two weeks ago get back and it was gone my heart dropped. I began looking for another gun to get but my wife turning them down saying that's not the one she want to get me and throwing out hints. So nowI think she bought it while I was gone.

I have been thinking about scopes I will have about $200 to spend on it. That is all I can get away with becasue my wife doesn't see the point in spending $500 on a gun much less $300 on a scope. Plus I need another $150 to get all the reloading components for it.

I have been looking at the Burris Fulfield II and the Sightron SII. I know these can handle the recoil form the 300 Wby.

What is your opinion of these two?
Do you have any others that you would consider?
Old 10-09-2008, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need a scope that can handle recoil.

I prefer the Sightron especially the Big Sky line. For another $50, I say get a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9 X 40. That's a great scope for that amount of $.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sightron SII, Nikon Monarch(primos which is old monarch), Leupold vx-II, Bushnell elite 3-9x40, I blewup a Burris Fullfield ll with a winlite 300 win mag with a muzzle brake( light rifle ) and a 300 wthby ups the recoil leveljust a tad more and has more recoil speedYou best buy a scope with good eye relief..you don't need 5" of eye relief but anything over 3 1/2" should be adequate.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Squeeze another 50 bucks out and get the BushnellElite 4200.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

I second the Bushnell Elite 4200,has the rainguard,handles recoil & 3.6" eye relief.
I've had Leupold,Burris,Nikon, but the 4200 is way better quality for the dough.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Burris 3x9x40mm Fullfield II I bought but I don't have a gun to put it on yet although I may replace my Leupold with it after hunting season. I hate to now as I got it sighted in like I want.
I've heard good things about it.

The other scope in that price range I can comment on is a Leupold 3x9x40mm VX-I. I do not recommend this scope and infact like the 2 $30 Tasco Bucksight from Wal-Mart a lot better. The reason I do not like it is after 6 months or so it seemed like the insides would shake after shooting. Not what I expected from a scope of that price. I sent it in for repair and finally got it back 1-2 months later. This was a lot longer than I expected to wait so I wasn't thrilled here. Anyway I got it back and it seemed to work. I had a $30 Tasco on while it was being repaired but put the Leupold on once I got it back. I sighted it in pretty good. Well, later on I went to shoot it just to check it out with a slightly different bullet. This was after sitting a 6 months or so. It was off but that may have been from the bullet. I sighted it in perfect as in shooting the bullseye over and over at 50 yards. I ended up having it resting against something that night and it fell over. I shot it again and it was now 3-4" high. From just a slight fall not dropping just tipping over it knocked it 3-4" off. That's crazy. I've have a Simmons that's 4 years old on another gun that's been dropped and just abused way more than this thing and never been sent in for repair and never lost 0. Heck the Tasco's even seemed to hold zero a lot better than this Leupold. The Tasco looked just as clear to me and a few friends said it looked clearer to them. I also have the same one on a Muzzle loader I've had for a year now. So it's lasted twice as long as the Leupold without needing repair. It also still shoots and works great and was $30 vs $220.

When I bought it and even now I kept hearing spend $2-250 on a Leupold and it will be way better than any cheap scope. So I did and the Vx-I is what you get in that price range. It turned out to be crap and I wish I had either bouggt something else or just saved my money and bought a Tasco.

I went into the Tasco's hoping they would get me by but not expecting to like them and infact expecting to dislike them. So I went in with a bad additude and they turned that around by greatly impressing me. I'm starting to think most people on here with the exception of a few that don't like them have probably not used one. Everyone I know that uses them loves them.

The Leupold was the opposite. I went in expecting to like it and now strongly dislike it. I kept trying to make reasons why it was good but the reality is it just really isn't that great.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I would love to get a Bushnell 4200 but the $200 for a scope limit is going to be pretty strict. I am looking on ebay so maybe I will get lucky.

I am leaning toward the Burris it is getting some rave reviews. Its just doesn't have the eye relief of the Sightron. The Burris is 3.1 - 3.8 were the Sightron is 3.6 - 4.1 giving more room for recoil.

How would the Bushnell 3200 stand up?

Old 10-16-2008, 07:03 PM

i got a 3200 on my remmy 270. i know it doesnt have the recoil as the weatherby but it goes back to zero everytime. i actually traded a fullfield11for the 3200. alot clearer optics
Old 10-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just saw a report on tv about scopes....saying most scopes are damaged by being poorly mounted not that they can't handle the recoil.

You owe it to yourself to have the tools to mount it properly or to have it professionally mounted.

Lapping the rings helps.
having ring alignment blocks,

coursed as it's been said, put a quality scope on a junk rifle, not a junk scope on a quality rifle,

I'd buy a nice nikon monarch, leupold vx-iii, or swarovski
Old 11-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

Well I would love to get a Bushnell 4200 but the $200 for a scope limit is going to be pretty strict. I am looking on ebay so maybe I will get lucky.

I am leaning toward the Burris it is getting some rave reviews. Its just doesn't have the eye relief of the Sightron. The Burris is 3.1 - 3.8 were the Sightron is 3.6 - 4.1 giving more room for recoil.

How would the Bushnell 3200 stand up?

Room for recoil will be keywuth that gun...what will you be hunting?

My buddy bought one, after a couple years he got rid of it because it kept hurting him dang near as much as the 100lb deer he was after. LOL, I never saw someone getso busted up year after year. That is a beast of a gun for sure. I have a sightron on a .50 cal m/l and it has held up well but that is nowhere near the kick of that gun.