Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Belgium Browning+Hevi shot >

Belgium Browning+Hevi shot

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Belgium Browning+Hevi shot

Old 03-19-2009, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Belgium Browning+Hevi shot

Gentleman, I have a question, I recently purchased a Belgium Browning A5 12 gauge shotgun, it has a full choke but I am going to have it bored out to a modified or improved cylinder. My question is after I have the choke bored out can I shoot Remington Hevi shot out of this gun? I need to know because I have over 100 rounds of it.
Thx for your advice.
Doug Olwin.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:16 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Belgium Browning+Hevi shot

I would suggest NO! Browning A-5's , Rem model 11's and Savage 720's all have a very thin barrel thickness. I'm not saying it will deform your barrel , BUT I WON"T SAY IT WILL NOT either? But in my opinion the later is very true. Is your heavy shot 2 3/4 inch? I'm not sure I have seen any below 3 inch mag length shells?? Not saying they didn't make it, just saying I have yet to see any in this part of the country?

Old 03-20-2009, 09:46 AM
bigcountry

I would not on my A5's. These guns are getting harder and harder to get. Hevishot is little harder than lead.

The japanese made A5 barrels are interchangable with most A5's and the ones with the invector choke can be used to shoot hevi or steel.

If it was me, I would buy a japanese invector choke style A5 barrel.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:48 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I would not on my A5's. These guns are getting harder and harder to get. Hevishot is little harder than lead.

The japanese made A5 barrels are interchangable with most A5's and the ones with the invector choke can be used to shoot hevi or steel.

Makes a very valid point, however the Japanese steel in these barrels may not take the recoil in the lug area over extended usage? But the chokes will handle it. JMO
Old 03-21-2009, 06:35 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: RugerMike

Makes a very valid point, however the Japanese steel in these barrels may not take the recoil in the lug area over extended usage? But the chokes will handle it. JMO
Didn't know that. Never tried it myself. Heard of others doing it. Good info.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

Please excuse my ignorance in this matter but if a hardend steel Japanese barrel lug would not be strong enough why would a softer Belgium Browning hold up? Or is this lug part of the gun and not the barrel?
And what about Hasting barrel replacements? can these handle steel, Hevi shot and Bismith?
Thx for you help
Old 03-23-2009, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: RugerMike

There are no issues with the lug on the Jap barrels.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Spike

If the gun was mine, I would open it up to I/C, since HS, HD, and the Extended Range all like a more open choke, and shoot the snot out of it. I have several A5's, one from 1931 with a Modified barrel opened up to I/C, and I have been shooting steel and HD out of it, and using a bore scope, I have not seen any ill effects on the forcing cone or barrel.

The barrels are getting hard to come by, but you could find a Japanese barrel and use it.

I don't believe this jibber jabber about the steel in the barrel of Japanese guns actually being better than a Belgium barrel, I don't see JM Browning designing it that way. If anything, I would bet the quality of the Belgium barrel would be better.

I know he would not have dreamed of the chamber pressures generated today, or that the gun would still be in use after 100 years, but people still stick modern ammo in a 100 year old gun and fire away. Hopefully in a few decades, I will get the chance.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:28 PM
Fork Horn

I do not have a Belgium A-5, but have my father's Remington 11-48 that I often use when waterfowl hunting, or while hunting in areas that require non toxic shot. The gun is in absolutely fabulous shape.

I do NOT shoot steel or Hevi Shot through it. I've been advised by numerous gunsmiths and a master gunmaker not to.

Instead, I shoot Kent Tungsten Matrix and Bismuth, and do not have any problems. They are soft and pattern like lead. I really like Tungsten Matrix -- a little expensive, but effective. I also think twice before taking a marginal shot at $3.25 per trigger pull.

I personally would not shoot Hevi Shot in your gun. Why take any chances of ruining a nice firearm that you can pass down to further generations.