Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 federal barnes expander slugs-regular vs tipped. >

federal barnes expander slugs-regular vs tipped.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

federal barnes expander slugs-regular vs tipped.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:00 PM

Default federal barnes expander slugs-regular vs tipped.

Anybody have any opinions on whether the tipped version of the federal barnes expander slug is an upgrade over the original? I have had pretty good results with the original but if the tipped can tighten the group up even more I might consider them.Thanks
Old 03-12-2009, 11:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: federal barnes expander slugs-regular vs tipped.

I've wondered about that myself ,bought them (tipped)but haven't tried them yet .I'm already sub moawith the rifle but wondered if they would help for longer ranges .
Old 03-13-2009, 08:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: federal barnes expander slugs-regular vs tipped.

i have shot almost every brand of slugs on the market. slug guns can be VERY picky when it come to finding accurate ammunition. with the same gun some ammunition shoots 1 hole groups @ 50 yards while some wont cover a paper plate at the same distance. From my shooting experience, slug guns with a slower twist rate (1:32 to 1:34) ten to shoot the larger bore sized saboted slugs (1500-1750 fps range) better than the smaller faster saboted projectile ie. hornady's SST and Remmy's Core Lokt Ultra. Where as a fast twist barrel like a (1:28) shoots the faster and smaller projectiles very accurately. My setup is a 870 Wingmaster with a fully rifled hastings 24" rifles barrel with a 1:34 twist. 3" lightfield hybred elites will consistantly shoot 3 shot clover leafs @ 50 yards in my setup. and on a good day i can shoot a 2" group @ 125 yards with only about 1" of drop. also note that the hybred elites are about the ugliest looking bullet. they have no fancy tip just a stubby hollow point. their only weak point ive found is at extreme close range they tend to badly fragment on deer