Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Barnes MZ Expander results >

Barnes MZ Expander results

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Barnes MZ Expander results

Old 12-23-2006, 04:17 PM

Default Barnes MZ Expander results

I went out today to get a little meat during the MD ML season. I have been using 250 SST's fro several years but the last few deer I shot the blood trails just seemed weak. I decided to try the Barnes based on reviews I saw here and on other sites. Well I took a doe today at 50 yards and boy did she fall hard. She came by at a steady walk and the hit was right behind the right shoulder. Bullet passed thru and broke the off leg. When I opened her up her heart was pulverized. Looked like I hit her heart with a 22-250. Hope to take one at a greater distance this next week. Entrance wound.

Old 12-23-2006, 04:18 PM

Default RE: Barnes MZ Expander results

This is the exit wound.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:27 PM

Nice Tracker 12,
Did you get him later in the afternoon? Last I saw you got a very early season woodchuck. That should make for a nice X-mas dinner Venison steaks and woodchuck meatballs possibly!

Good luck for the rest of your season,
Mike
Old 12-23-2006, 04:35 PM

Shot the Woodchuck yesterday afternoon. Got the venison this morning. I think I will do the Chuck in jerky. Hand it out to the X-Mass Carolers.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:57 PM

Hey, just in case that you do not have time to make up the jerky. You just might be able to get a couple of good chuck steaks for the grill.

Old 12-23-2006, 05:12 PM
Dominant Buck

All joking aside, woodchuck is pretty good to eat I was told. They eat the same thing basically as a rabbit.

That is an impressive wound channel in that deer. Also that is a nice meaty looking deer you got there. Looks like your freezer will be very happy. Those Barnes shoot excellent out of my Knight Rifles.. Good luck in your future hunts.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:09 PM

Growing up in PA I used to shoot a lot of chucks and had a guy that would take the young ones to eat. I tried it once and it was not bad. Problem is that have a really strong smell. I tried once to clean one and could never get through it. I stick with the venison. Milk soaked Tenderloins for breakfast with eggs on X Mass morning.