Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Actually thinking about getting a 7mm RUM... >

Actually thinking about getting a 7mm RUM...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Actually thinking about getting a 7mm RUM...

Old 02-24-2009, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Actually thinking about getting a 7mm RUM...

I know what some who know me might be thinking; why is this guy, who's so often recommended against magnums, thinking about getting one of the biggest small-bore magnums of them all?

Well, that's what I'm trying to figure out, too. Either I've lost my d*mned mind, or I'm onto something. Maybe some of you folks can help me figure this out. Either way, I just can't get the 7mm RUM off my mind... I just WANT one even if I don't know if I'll ever really NEED one.

So here's the thinking so far. I've been seriously considering finally getting myself a real "legacy" rifle. By that I mean that I want a hunting rifle that I'll be happy and proud to own, that I'll want to keep for the rest of my days and pass on to one of my kids. So far, all of my rifles to date have been just Plain-Jane, no-frills utility rifles. They have been reasonably accurate and go boom when ordered to. Well, I want something a little nicer, maybe with some custom touches, that will be BOTH a good shooter and a nice looking rifle, topped off with some much nicer glass than I'm used to on a hunting rifle. The issue is that I'm not rich, so I can't afford to buy several rifles for different intents (ie deer or elk, woods or bean fields or mountain canyons) all to this standard. This will be my "poor-mans Cadillac." My thought behind the 7mm Ultra Mag is that I'll do all I will ever need a rifle to do. It'll efficiently kill everything from antelope and coyote to moose and black bears, it'll do fine from 50 yards to 500+, and with a detachable muzzle brake, the recoil will be between a .270 Win and a .30-06 (very manageable), with the option to remove it for hunting (I like the hearing I have left).

The rifle will be a Remington Model 700, not only because it's a fine platform, but it'll offer the greatest opportunity for aftermarket parts, and if I ever shoot out the barrel, the 700 is about the best factory action to rebarrel into a full-custom job. I haven't decided on the specific trim level that I'm going to get, and I'm planning on some level of customization (like the afformentioned muzzle brake, which is a definate add on). It's going to be stainless, so I'm deciding between the SPS Stainless, XCR and Sendero SF II.

I like the XCR pretty well, but I'm not sure if the special coating (Trinyte) and the Hogue stock, which I like OK, is worth the extra cost.

I really like the Sendero with the heavy fluted barrel and H&S Stock, but it's a somewhat heavy rifle (8.5lbs), so with a scope (which will be in the 4.5-14x44 to 4-16x50 range) it'll weigh between 9.5 and 10lbs. Not extremely heavy, but not an optimum all-day walking rifle either. I do most of my hunting stationary anyway, but I do walk often walk a good distance in and out. If the opportunity to go out west arises in the (distant) future there will be more walking (and mountains [:'(]), but it'd be a great platform for the longer shots common there.

The SPS stainless has the stainless barreled action I want, minus the Trinyte coating which may or may not be worth the cost, with a plain synthetic stock which I'd probably swap for a nice laminate stock. It doesn't have some of the higher end features out of the box like the XCR and Sendero, but it's much less expensive and, at least by my estimation, lends itself well as a platform for items like a custom stock.

So I would like to know what you guys think.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 02-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Actually thinking about getting a 7mm RUM...

I would go for the Sendaro. It may way more but if the majority of your hunting is stationary you will never know. Also. many times a heavy rifle is easier to shoot accuratly.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd get a .300 RUM over a 7mm RUM if you did. That's alotta powder to burn, even in a 26" barrel, and the .308" dia would do it better/more efficiently.
Get the sendero if you're gonna get a RUM.

If you want a lighter rifle, get a smaller round in something lighter... maybe a .270wsm if you want something flat shooting, and a small bore.
I think you should keep this RUM to use on the bigger stuff, not antelope and coyotes.

Is this going to be your one and only rifle? I can understand having a truly ultra mag if I already had something smaller, but you say you can't afford different rifles, if that's the case I'd strongly suggest more of an all around. Also a legacy rifle...I don't think you want your 7mm RUM to go the way of the .264 win mag legacy rifles...which I think it very well could. How popular is the .300 RUM even?

How about a .270wsm, .300wsm, 7mm rem mag, .300wby?

Old 02-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey, if you really like the 7mm RUM- go for it! My cousin has a Rem 700 in the 7mm RUM and he loves it. He's used it for everything from coyotes to elk. With the right bullets, it is very versatile and can do a lot. Only problem I can think of - it's not a very common caliber- hard to find ammo. And who knows how hard it might be to find ammo 20 years from now for it? Not an issue if you reload, though.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I handload, so ammo supply and variety isn't the real issue for me. I imagine that like so many other cartridges out there, brass will be around and available long after factory ammo offerings dry up. I'm attracted to the 7mm RUM over the 300 RUM mostly because of the higher BC bullets in common hunting weights, and the similarly flat trajectory with 20% less recoil. The .300 RUM hits a little harder downrange, but the difference isn't so great that it'll matter until the range gets beyond 500 yards. With a muzzle brake the 7mm RUM with a 9.5lb rifle should kick like a .270 Win.

Mike

Old 02-24-2009, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

RR,

I'm thinking about the Defensive Edge brake. I like the appearance better than the Holland, and Kirby Allen speaks highly of them over at the other place I know you also frequent (don't think the rules here allow me to mention the site, but it's about LONG RANGE and HUNTING ). I think the DE brake would look really sharp on the Sendero and it'd be a relatively soft shooter.

Mike
Old 02-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you are going to use the rifle for your one and only do it all hunting rifle,and then hand it down,be prepared to have it rebarreled a few times.To really get to know the trajectory and wind drift,and to develop and maintain the skills necessary to realize the advantage that the 7mmRUM provides over cartridges such as the 7mm remmag,you will need to do a lot of shooting,likely a couple of hundred rounds or more per year.Even with proper care,7mmRUM barrels usually suffer enough throat erosion within 1000 to 1500 rounds to result in accuracy fading to where the barrel should be replaced.For a two or three boxes of ammunition per year shooter,the 7mmremmag is a far more practical choice.I base my opinions on actually having owned three 7mmstws,one 7mmRUM,and two 300RUMs,and having shot out barrels on some of these rifles.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Buy it! The Sendero that is! Then get some 168 or 180 Bergers and have some fun!