Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Can you repair a cracked stock? >

Can you repair a cracked stock?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Can you repair a cracked stock?

Old 02-23-2009, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Can you repair a cracked stock?

This is just for a project I'm working on for a friend.

This is for a old Remington .22. I've found a few replacement stocks but none we really like and we would like to continue to use this one and keep it original. It has 2 cracks. Both go all the way through the wood. As in if you take the stock off you can see the crack on the inside of the stock and on the outside. They are also fairly long. One is probably a foot long or so and another maybe 6-8". One starts right under where the first one ends and it goes right up to right beside the bolt hole that holds the stock on. Not to the bolt hole since there appears to be metal there but right next to it.

We are thinking of attempting to use some wood glue. Do you guys think that will work or is this stock pretty much done for? I'd hate to get rid of it just due to we want it original. Even if it doesn't look 100%. One thing that worries me about the glue is you can see oil got in this crack as if you squeeze the stock together some oil comes out. This makes me wonder if the glue will actually be able to hold it with the wood having oil in it.

Any suggestions? Is this repairable?
Old 02-23-2009, 11:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Can you repair a cracked stock?

Everything can be fixed and oil shouldn't be a problem, but your description of the problem is terrible. How about a model number/action typeand a description that includesterms like grip, butt, forearms, trigger, receiver etc so we can understand the nature and location of the crack or better yet,a picture speaks a 1000 words.I know someone here can help you but you have to give a bit more info. Hope it helps.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I need to see some pictures so that I may advise you better to repair your stock. What I usually do is rough up INSIDE the crack and drill to allow wooden dowel pins so that using glass bedding will have surface to grip. Cut the dowel pins off just barely below the outside surfaces (visable), fill with wood putty, and stain to match stock.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some guys on another forum I asked this on wanted pictures too so I ended up being able to get some.

It's hard to get the pictures to show the cracks.

Here you can kind of see them.
You can see the second one start under the first one.

You can kind of see it here. It runs to right before that bolt hole. Seems to have metal in the bolt hole.

From the inside

Old 02-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

That'll be no problem to repair the way I said.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Heck - Duct tape will hold that together no problem.
Seriously, SB's idea will work. If you don't want to go that route, you can drill 1/16" holes and pin it with brass pins to just under the surface then fill with wood filler and stain.
I wouldn't think that old .22 has much value other than sentimental value.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

I wouldn't think that old .22 has much value other than sentimental value.
That's more what it is.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:39 PM
DM

The way i'd fix that stock is,I'd spread the cracks open... Thenuse paint thinner or break cleaner OUTDOORS to get any oil out of the cracks that i can. Then i'd use one of the accuglass kits on the market for the glue...

Mix the glass up, and use tooth picks to get the glass into the break as deep as possible, close the break, and glamp it untill it hardens. Sometimes tape works good for a clamp...

Do one break at a time, and then sand the excess glass off...

DM
Old 02-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had one that was cracked like that and I used Elmers version of the Gorilla glue, an acrylic type of glue that really bonds things together. I worked it into the crack and when it dried I just sanded things back and then painted the stock. I know that you are wanting to stain the stock, but I just figured that I would share how I solved the problem on one of the few that I have done. Another one I did very similar to how stalkingbear described.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

If you dont mind refinishing the entire stock, i would strip it down, spread the cracks ever so slightly, insert a syringe with Gorilla glue, the stuff foams up so use sparingly, clamp it over night, sand smooth and refinish.

Quick Reply: Can you repair a cracked stock?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.