HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Can you repair a cracked stock?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 10:11 PM
hometheaterman
Nontypical Buck

Default Can you repair a cracked stock?

This is just for a project I'm working on for a friend.

This is for a old Remington .22. I've found a few replacement stocks but none we really like and we would like to continue to use this one and keep it original. It has 2 cracks. Both go all the way through the wood. As in if you take the stock off you can see the crack on the inside of the stock and on the outside. They are also fairly long. One is probably a foot long or so and another maybe 6-8". One starts right under where the first one ends and it goes right up to right beside the bolt hole that holds the stock on. Not to the bolt hole since there appears to be metal there but right next to it.

We are thinking of attempting to use some wood glue. Do you guys think that will work or is this stock pretty much done for? I'd hate to get rid of it just due to we want it original. Even if it doesn't look 100%. One thing that worries me about the glue is you can see oil got in this crack as if you squeeze the stock together some oil comes out. This makes me wonder if the glue will actually be able to hold it with the wood having oil in it.

Any suggestions? Is this repairable?