Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ammunition Encoding >

Ammunition Encoding

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ammunition Encoding

Old 02-19-2009, 04:19 AM
Typical Buck

Default Ammunition Encoding

This has got to be the scariest pieces of legislation I have ever seen. It is no wonder ammo is sellling out all across the country. Currently my state does not have this type of legislation but I am sure it will be introduced soon. Citizens, Americans, Brothers-in-Arms, I beg you to call your senators now and try to stop this nonsense.

Admin/Mods, I understand this might not be the correct forum for this link, sorry.

http://ammunitionaccountability.org/Legislation.htm

Old 02-19-2009, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ammunition Encoding

It is so rediculous that it is going to be virtually impossible to enforce. Not a whole lot of deep thought was put into it (naturally)..... Far too many questions about it's ability to be implemented and enforced exist. Don't think it has a chance. But it's just one of the first stones that are going to be thrown at the gun owning public. All upcoming legislation needs to be scrutinized carefully by our elected officials for crap like this.....
Old 02-19-2009, 07:49 AM

With everyones focus on the economy, this is the kind ofnonsense that the anti-gun people will try to slip through.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's what it's all about (once more):

Three guys in Seattle (or thereabouts) hatch up the idea, "what if the same technology the post office uses to identify mail were applied to bullets and cartridge cases?" (Line of thought being it'd be easier to tell which policeman fired the fatal shot, or which Soldier, or which criminal, ...). So, they PATENT the idea (not the actual equipment or process) and hire themselves a law/lobbying firm to "champion" their case to state legislatures. Oh, did I mention the part about a "modest" $0.005 tax per round of ammunition that would "probably" be passed along to the consumer. Oh, and there's the part that this technology, while having been applied in small scale, hasn't been applied in a production/manufacturing environment where most reasonable people with any knowledge of manufacturing processes tend to think it'd be impossible to achieve total quality control or accuracy. 8B rounds per year at that rate puts about $8,000,000 in the three guys' pockets annually - for doing nothing but hatching a hair-brained idea and then "patenting" it.

Fortunately, it appears that most states where this "legislation" has been introduced have shot it down, let it die in committee, etc. Nonetheless, be on the lookout for it.