Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ammunition... >

Ammunition...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ammunition...

Old 08-17-2007, 12:55 AM

Default Ammunition...

Best factory ammo for deer in .243. I know 100 grain bullets. CoreLokts, Federals, Pointed Soft Points, what?

For my daughter, first season hunting.

Just picked up a H&R HandiRifle in .243 and a Sightron SII scope for her.

Headin' to the range and want some opinions.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ammunition...

I carried a .243 as well on my first hunt, and have used every one of those factory 100 gr. loadings from Remington, Federal, and Winchester to take deer and antelope. I probably used more Remingtons and Federals, simply because that's what the stores I could afford carried.

My recommendation is to take a box of each to the range and see which shoots the best in her rifle (by "best", I mean which one shoots the tightest groups).

I haven't had a single problem with any of those bullets as long as I did my part getting it where it needed to go.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: CrowMagnumMan

Best factory ammo for deer in .243. I know 100 grain bullets. CoreLokts, Federals, Pointed Soft Points, what?

For my daughter, first season hunting.

Just picked up a H&R HandiRifle in .243 and a Sightron SII scope for her.

Headin' to the range and want some opinions.

Thanks in advance.
Rem 100-grain PSP CoreLokt is a good deer load IF it shoots accuratelyin your rifle. You'll have to shoot some to see how they group......
Old 08-17-2007, 08:53 AM

Just about any 100gr bullet for the 243 will do fine on deer, as long as it was designed for hunting. From cheap blue-box federal ammo and Core-Lokt PSPs, to Nosler Partitions and maybe even Barnes bullets (I don't know if anybody factory loads barnes for the 243 @ 100gr?) they will all git 'er done. I'm not sure where you are from, but if you're hunting some of those skinny southern deer, as light as 85gr bullets will also do the job. They open easier than the 100gr bullets and that's more desirable in smalleranimals than in 300lb saskatchewan whitetails To start, I suggest you get at least 2 different kinds of bullets and see which one groups better. Most of all, make it fun for your daughter. Bring along a 22 to the range maybe to do some plinking between groups, some shoot n see targets might also make it more fun.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can't really add anymore than what's already been said..............you will just have to try various brands and find out what one(s) your particular gun likes best. Some serious handloading should really give you the proper combination, if you are so equipped and inclined.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

My son and I both use Remington 100 gr. PSP Core-Lokts in our .243s for deer hunting, and we've gotten great performance. He's got a Model 7-Youth, and I shoot a Model 700ADL. If you hit the vitals, they work great! As stated before, pick whichever of the listed cartridges shoots best in your rifle.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've set up 4-5 .243s for buddies the last few years, my short list would be:

100gr CoreLokts
100gr Custom Hornady InterLokts
100gr Federal Premium Seirra SPBT

I have killed deer with all of these and they all do fine...The 100gr Federal Nosler Partition is also a good bullet,
but it is more expensive and kills no better than the above.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:25 AM

IF YOU HAND LOAD LOOK AT THE BARNES X BULLET, 95GR AND A LOAD OF VARGET TO WHATEVER SHOOTS BEST IN THE RIFLE.
IF BUYING FACTORY TRY THE MAJOR MANUFACTURES TILL YOU FIND WHAT WORKS BEST, FED REM AND WIN HAVE ALL PERFORMED WELL IN MY RIFLES.
BEST OF LUCK
AA
Old 08-18-2007, 07:44 AM

Thanks, all! Very helpful! Headin' to the gunshop today and will be at the range soon!

Appreciate all of your help!