Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 ammunition for 7mm >

ammunition for 7mm

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

ammunition for 7mm

Old 01-18-2007, 07:04 AM

Default ammunition for 7mm

I have been looking at ballistic tables, and am still trying to find what ammo suits my gun best.

What is the flattest shooting round out there in 7mm rem mag in 150 or 160 grains?

In all that I've looked up so far, the remington accutips are. at 500 yds they drop only 35 inches when sighted at 200

But on guns and ammo they say there is a standard hollow point load that will do the same thing with only 32.x inches of drop.

I will probably never shoot that far in my entire life, but would still like the most flat shooting bullet i can get.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ammunition for 7mm

Looking at ballistics on paper won't tell you how it will perform in your rifle, only way is to find suitable ammo for the application then shoot it at ranges you intend to hunt. If your not ever going to shoot to 500 why even make it an issue? Instead look at what you will be shooting, then review the bullets design/intended use and match it up to your hunting.

For deer I like the Nosler Ballistic Tip. In my 7mm rem mag the 150gr groups better then the 140gr at distances longer then 200 yards, so the minimal loss in trajectory is far less of a concern then accuracy loss. In reality the difference of a few inches in drop means little, if your are practiced you will be able to compensate for the ballistics of yourload fired from your gun and accuracyshould rule the roost when looking at longer range shooting situations IMHO.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:51 PM

I'm aware, i just want to know which ones to try, as i can't spend the 30-50 dollars a box every week to go shooting, and am looking for something that will fit, but want to try the most appealing loads first.

but at the same time, if shooting at 300 yards, which i plan to do in the future after practice, a 2-5 inch difference i would think could cause a massive difference. I know you would get used to doing what you do to get it to hit the spot, but the less compensation the less probability for error.

I just am interested in trying the load out.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Understandable, buy whatever bullet you think you want to use and shoot it to see how it performs. If accuracy is their at 100 - 200 yards then you should feel confident in working with it at longer yardage. If accuracyisn't then move to the next on your list.

WhatI was saying is the ammo company make ballistic claims out their test rifle not yours, it is possible your rifle will chuck them different. So the only true way is to shoot them at the ranges and put them across a chronograph to get your own set of ballistics.

The higher the BC(ballistic coeffecient)the more areodynamic the projectile but this must be compared apples to apples in grain size (as you'll find 140 have a lower and 160 actually have a higher BC of similar bullets - due to different charge or powder levels they produce different trajectories). If the ammunition companys your introduced in doesn't have this info on their websites you can go to the bullet manufacturers for the BC of the bullets. Nosler, Hornady, Barnes, Seirra, etc.

BTW the accutip is actually the Hornady SST- 154gr hasa BC of .525. 150 gr NBT has a BC of .493.

I reload and in my 7mm the NBT can be pushed faster while still maintaining accuracy, therefore at longer ranges it edges out the SST slightly in trajectory. Even at that we're talking less than an 1" at 300 yards if memory serves me correctly. AgainIMO that doesn't equate to much and had the SST proved more accurate I would use it instead.This is just my rifle yours may love the Accutip/SST and it may perform spot on for you. Sorry the only way is through trial and error.

I set my 7mm rem mag to have a MPBR of 300 yards, it suits my situation fine. I took a mule deer buck at 407 yards(LRF) this fall due to the slight crosswind and distance I needed to make the appropriate adjustments prior to pulling the trigger. That is pretty much my limit in the field and even then if it had been more then slight breeze I would have passed as the bullet drift is the toughest thing to judge in the field.