Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 varmint rifle help >

varmint rifle help

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

varmint rifle help

Old 02-11-2009, 05:28 PM

Default RE: varmint rifle help

just to update everyone I went with the 22 250,Havent had a chance to take it out yet.Now trying to decide on a scope.Dont really have the extra cash for a real high dollar scope right now (kids!!!) are takeing care of that.But thinking of a couple of cheeper ones for now and upgrade later.Anyone have any experiance with cabelas tactical turret scopes.Or also have been doing alot of reading on mueller scopes any advice
Old 02-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mauser06

dang matt, you do it all huh???

thats an awesome lookin rifle...love the short barrel!

from flyfishing to bow hunting to target archery to pistol hunting to varmint rigs...were alot alike...too many hobbies...not enough time! lol
Don't forget flintlocks and inlines, bass fishing, fly tying, grouse hunting, predator calling, and some other crap I'm sure I'm forgetting. LOL

I don't mess around.

The gun is VERY sweet and what's even nicer is that Bowtech is now owned by Savage, which means that I am now owned by Savage, which means that I might have access to some high dollar McMillan, HS Precision, or Accustock tactical options for that puppy!
I can't imagine it shooting much better, it's honestly quite sick and the trigger is unreal, the best I've ever shot on any gun.

You're rig is really nice itself, LOVE the style and especially the scope! THAt is good glass.
My buddy Todd just picked one up this past weekend at the Leupold booth at the Sport Show. He got the 6-20 X 40 Tactical VXIII for $500. Kind of hard to beat and I ALMOST bought one myself, but I want to give this scope a shot. So far so good, it looks like a keeper. Mil-Dot, nice and bright and hitting where I aim? At this point why bother?

Old 02-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

wow i had no idea savage and bowtech merged...i musta missed that...or forgot about it...that is a very impressive group especially from a factory rifle and ammo!!

my next varmint rig will be something along those lines...i like my current rifle and bought it with sitting and reaching out and touching groundhogs in mind so its length and weight doesnt bother me...but ive carried it predator hunting a couple times when i felt i should take a rifle instead of the shotgun and man, it gets old quick! gotta watch i dont get stuff in the barrel coz it is so long and heavy it gotta be slung upside down..and just plain HEAVY lol...and i kinda wish i had a faster twist...but, when i move upto a bigger caliber for longer ranges, i'll make sure it does so i can shoot heavier bullets...

i do love that leupold...i always wanted a good varmint rifle...it was actually all kinda spur of the moment...im a tightwad most of the time...but i know im 22 years old and school loans, maybe a wife and kids and house and truck etc etc are all coming my way...i knew if i didnt buy that rifle i wouldnt own anything like it for a long while...

those VX-IIIs are sick...one of my buddies has one of the upper end models on his rifle with the varmint hunter reticle...awesome scope....but i still outshoot him and his Kimber he got money..but he cant shoot that well! usually makes me feel GREAT about myself when i hunt with him! lol..one time we had 2 out in a field we caught walking the field picking up other dead ones...did the ole "1, 2, 3" POW! both our shots ring out...only 150yd shot...i roll mine dead...seen that his was running for the hole and threw another shell in and rolled his on a run lol...his jaw dropped...

still itchin to get into the handgun hunting...that'll likely be my next hunting weapon purchase...but this summer is a vehicle for sure....maybe i'll still pull it off before next season..we'll see...
Old 02-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

my next varmint rig will be something along those lines...i like my current rifle and bought it with sitting and reaching out and touching groundhogs in mind so its length and weight doesnt bother me...but ive carried it predator hunting a couple times when i felt i should take a rifle instead of the shotgun and man, it gets old quick! gotta watch i dont get stuff in the barrel coz it is so long and heavy it gotta be slung upside down..and just plain HEAVY lol...and i kinda wish i had a faster twist...but, when i move upto a bigger caliber for longer ranges, i'll make sure it does so i can shoot heavier bullets...
Don't let the size fool ya........that thing is 10lbs without the scope and bi-pod or loaded.
It's basically a Police sniper rifle but in .223
I think the exact one I have was only made for one year in that configuration, so lucky me! They still make a .308 version. I'm totally convinced I can ring out a 5 shot ragged one hole group at 100 yards. I have a picture of a 5 shot group RJ shot with it that is like 3/4" center to center at 200 yards. [:-]
I hope I can snag a high end tactical stock for it, calling tomorrow to see what's available. Hope I don't screw up a good thing. LOL
Old 02-12-2009, 03:23 PM

any info on the 2 scopes I listed
Old 02-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mt Boy,
Mueller scopes are actually pretty nice for the $$, I would definitely choose one of their mil-dot style varmint scopes over the Cabela's brand.
I own the "Multi Shot" which I use on my turkey gun and it works great, nice and bright for only a 32mm objective and it's holding up to the pounding that a light 3.5" twelve gauge puts out.

They have a lifetime warranty too.
I wouldn't hesitate to put one on a rifle on a budget!
Old 02-13-2009, 10:00 PM
Fork Horn

i have a savage 12 fv. i love the gun to death. the stock does leave alittle to be desired but with my pet load it will put 3 in one hole from 100. the savage has a 1-12 pitch barrel so it will shoot 60 grainers ok but mine loves the 55 nosler bt. guns are like women and have their moments but my rifle likes to run a little hotter loads better than the bottem end loads. but my savage 10 in 243 likes them in the mid range. hope this helps