Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 im looking for a varmint rifle >

im looking for a varmint rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

im looking for a varmint rifle

Old 08-26-2007, 08:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default im looking for a varmint rifle

im looking for a long range rifle, im not sure which caliber, im thinking either .223 or .243. any thoguhts on what i should buy, if possible id like to keep the setup under $1700. id like a bolt action, but single shot is fine, since i think thats typically wahts used.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:13 PM

Default RE: im looking for a varmint rifle

With that Price range you are a ton of options for sure. MY SUGGESTION would be a Reminton 700 PSS, or BDL in .223, or maybe 22-250. It's been a while but I think the should be under 1000, or right close to it for the Rifle. I had nikon glass, which for the price is hard to beat. That should run between 300-400 for good glass.they are exceptionally clear, shoot well in mild low light. ALl round, great for the money. I would get a single piece scope base and Rings from Leupold. Might be another 80-100 for a decent set. And finish it with a Harris Bipod. Depending on the model 60-150. Then, I would take that rifle to a good "mom and pop" gun shop and have the old guy there adjust the trigger down to about 3 lbs (he might not take it any lower due to liability, but if he does, then 2 lbs) That should run no more than 30-50. There you have it, A Great varmint Rifle.

GoodLuck.

By the way, you can do this same setup in a lot of different calibers, not just the .223 or 22-250.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

My choice was the Remington VLS in 6mm. Outstanding accuracy and very flat shooter.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Whats your definition of long range? The 223 is about a 300-350 yard gun tops. A 22-250 will get you out there to the almost 500 mark, a 243 will go 600-650 in the right hands. Remington makes an SPS Varmint that would be a good gun to start with, then you can stick $1200 into a scope/rings/bases/bipod. Savage also makes a few real slick long range rifles you should check out. I had a Tikka T3 Varmint in 223 that I was not impressed with, that I traded for a Savage.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:59 PM

This is one i use. 234wssm Browning A-Bolt it shoots just fine.it should be in your price range.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

1700$...you got some SERIOUS options. heck...you could probably have a custom rifle built...

do you want to spend EVERY dime of it? or would saving money and still having a solid rifle be good enough?? how far is your "long range"?? what kind of varmints are we shootin??

heres MY varmint rifle. my varmints are groundhogs. shots are within 500. didnt break the 350 mark this summer actually never seen any past it to shoot...except one...before i got the good scope on it..and my range finder wouldnt range him that far out so coming close enough to scare him was good enough. i dont typically hunt in windy conditions...

caliber? 22-250. good fast caliber...been around for years..dont gotta worry about ammo being obsolete in a couple years...and can even find it at walmart if i wanted..

rifle? Remington 700 SPS Varmint with a 26" heavy barrel. barrel has a 1:14" twist..good for lighter varmint bullets.

accessories? Leupold VX-II 6-18x40AOT with 4 and 6" shades, lense caps etc...AND a 13-23" harris bipod.

everything else is still factory. groups?? ive fired a couple sub moa groups at 100yds with cheap UMC ammo shooting 50gr bullets. stupid me didnt realize the slower twist was for lighter bullets. i burnt up the umc stuff and ordered 3 boxes of 55gr ballistic tips...they dont shoot as well. right around an inch at 100 and 2" at 200...not bad for a factory rifle and trigger and bore that isnt broken in yet.

i got about 1200 into it all. heres a few pics..

next is GOOD rings and bases...got weavers on it now. then a Jewel trigger. i bought the rifle for 550 with a junk scope on it. figured that was a good price and it will get me through a couple years till i do the rebuild...when im done i will just have the action left...probably wont even be 22-250 when im done lol...but for now its all i need...

now, if you wanna reach out farther...id step up to a 6mm or 243 sized caliber...better at longer ranges and in the wind..and id probably buy a nightforce scope...dont know the price, but i know they are expensive...but hear they are the best varmint scopes

lots of options...
Old 08-27-2007, 06:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cooper Arms
Old 08-27-2007, 11:21 PM
Typical Buck

In that price range my vote would be a Cooper also, I heard they were good varmint guns. A good scope could come later on.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:09 AM

I have a Remington 700VLS in .308 that i would be willing to sell. I know it is not a caliber you specified, but it wouldfit your long range varment needs, and you could deer hunt with it too. Spend the extra money on high end glass, and you would have a sweet rig.

If you would be interested, or want more informationPM me.

-Steve
Old 08-29-2007, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

get a bushmaster ar15 in a .223 for 1700 you can get a good semi auto decked out with a good scope light and have a fun semi auto target gun

Quick Reply: im looking for a varmint rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.