Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 varmint rifle help >

varmint rifle help

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

varmint rifle help

Old 01-25-2009, 02:24 PM

Default varmint rifle help

I have been lookingfor a new varmint rifle for a couple months now a have narrowed it down to 2.Either a remington sps varmint or a savage model 12 fv . Looked at both of them today at a local gun shop and really liked them both. I amnormaly a savage guy I have 5 of them and they all shoot great.But I really liked the remington the stock felt good and has a beaver tail forarm which the savage doesnt and really like the finsh on the sps.Just wondering if anyone had any info on these 2 gun and how they shoot.plus any suggestions on a caliber leaning toard a 204 ruger or 22 250
Old 01-25-2009, 02:46 PM

Default RE: varmint rifle help

I have the sps in a 204. Nice gun, but looking back on it I would have gone with a 22-250 for the simple fact that is is a little more versitile. it also stands up to wind a lot better. I am working out in WY now and it is always windy. I am looking at a 25-06 for the simple fact that you can use it for anything from praire dogs to elk.I will most likely get another remington.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:57 PM

Thanks for your info arch.What kind of groups are you getting out of your sps and whats the trigger like
Old 01-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with the Remington. And I would go with a 22-250. The Remington is also probably a bit cheaper in price?? Or real close. I have a Savage 12FVSS in 300 WSM, and I paid more for it a few years ago than what I have seen the SPS advertised at?? The 12FVSS I have is a good shooter. However I definitely had to restock the rifle. The factory stock was terrible.

The only problem I have with the Remington in 22-250 is that it is a 1in14 twist. I like a little faster twist in the 22-250, but I also prefer to shoot the larger bullet.

As far as accuracy is concerned. It is hit or miss as which one will be the most accurate.

As far as the trigger is concerned. You might have to do a little work on the Remington trigger, but maybe not. After a Remington trigger has been worked on-I prefer it over the Accu-Trigger.

I have a couple of rifles with the Accu-Trigger. And it is a pretty good trigger. However IMO it has too many exterior moving parts. I would never consider taking one into a back country-one rifle only hunt. But for day in day out varminting it would do fine. Out of the box it is the better trigger between the Savage and Remington.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd go for the Remington in .22-250 in a heartbeat. See my post about Remington vs Savage.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

i have an SPS in 22-250....

accuracy is excellent...out of the box ive shot honest 5 shot sub-moa groups at 100yds with factory ammo...CHEAP factory ammo at that..UMC 50gr JHP value pack ammo! never would have though in a million years!

trigger aint terrible...little on the heavy side...but for a factory trigger, it aint bad and can be worked....

only gripe is the weight/length...IF your going to be walking much...myself? i bought it to sit on my butt and reach out and touch the critters, not chase them around! in most my groundhog hunting areas, i can park and within 50yds or so, i can setup and be hunting...perks of being best friends with the farmer...

stock is a little cheesy and plastic..but, it works i guess. looks cool...i love the looks of mine..its OD green!

ive killed em out to 350yds...i need a range finder and im sure i'll beable to reach out and touch farther...right now i go off memory of what my buddies range finder told me when i borrowed it...hunt the same fields from the same spots for the most part, so i know the distance to most of them pretty close...
Old 01-26-2009, 12:58 PM

HEY mauser06 sweet looking rig Really like the od green did u order it that way .Wondering what kind of scope u are shooting
Old 01-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Typical Buck

mt boy. thanks for this post. im in the same dilema. I am waiting until summer to get mine though, when i start mowing again. Im going for the remington. Ive never shot a remington centerfire rifle, but if there anything like there shotguns, or rimefires, it will be dead on dead right out of the box. Me and my dad have 5 remingtons between us. love em.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

i believe its a special color made for Di ck's sporting goods...only place ive seen them that color...and the only color ive seen there is like mine....not sure if its just my area or what...definitely looks better than black IMO...its a large rifle...that would be TOO much black for me!

i got a Leupold VX-II 6-18x40AOT on it....love the glass...tracks true and is very clear...pricey, but gotta be for a long range rig...cant skimp on the scope....
Old 01-26-2009, 04:08 PM
Typical Buck

Heres the same gun, but with a muzzle brake in that color. staright fromthe factory.
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_vtr.asp

Quick Reply: varmint rifle help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.