Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Taurus PT 24/7 pro >

Taurus PT 24/7 pro

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Taurus PT 24/7 pro

Old 01-16-2009, 05:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Taurus PT 24/7 pro

I have a Raging Bull in 454 Casull. It is well made of good materials. I cannot speak for theirother models, but have considered their M1911 clone. Looks pretty good to me.....
Old 01-16-2009, 08:17 AM

Ok I have a question. As you all probably know by now. I don't know hardly anything about handguns. I have several rifles and shotguns but I have never owned much less shot a handgun. I keep hearing people talk about +p and +p+ ammo and whatnot and I have no idea what that means. I think I need one of those handguns for dummies books or something!
Old 01-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: jecole360

Ok I have a question. As you all probably know by now. I don't know hardly anything about handguns. I have several rifles and shotguns but I have never owned much less shot a handgun. I keep hearing people talk about +p and +p+ ammo and whatnot and I have no idea what that means. I think I need one of those handguns for dummies books or something!
There are standards for chamber pressure for every caliber. Ammo thatis +P ratedproduces a chamber pressure above the normal approved pressurebut no higher than themax approved pressure for +P. Ammo that is +P+ rated produces a chamber pressure that is above the approved max for+P ammo but not higher than the approved max for +P+. The higherchamber pressure ammo will give you more velocity which will give you more energy at the muzzle. It will also give you more muzzle blast, muzzle flash and recoil. I recommend AGAINST shooting +P and/or +P+ ammo unless your gun is approved by the manufacturer for this ammo. Ammo that is +P and +P+ will also be harder on your gun.

Many self defense trainers recommend a muzzle energy of at least 400 ft/lbs at the muzzle for a self defense handgun (the rules change for .44 and larger bullets due to the bullet diameter and weight). For a 9MM to producemore than400 ft/lbs at the muzzle, it pretty much has to be a +P load. The Black Hills 9mm +P produces about 430 ft/lbs at the muzzle from a 4" gun in the 115 gr and 124 gr bullets.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:00 PM

For a 9mm if I want to use it for target shooting and self defence couldn't I just use jacketed hollowpoints for self defence? Everyone seems to talk like if you shoot someone with a 9mm that they will just keep coming. I just find it hard to believe that a 9mm to the chest wouldn't put someone down. I know I don't want to get shot w/ a 9mm let alone anything else! My dad's cousin died when I was a kid by an accidental shotfrom a .22 rifle while he was coon hunting at night.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:19 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: jecole360

For a 9mm if I want to use it for target shooting and self defence couldn't I just use jacketed hollowpoints for self defence? Everyone seems to talk like if you shoot someone with a 9mm that they will just keep coming. I just find it hard to believe that a 9mm to the chest wouldn't put someone down. I know I don't want to get shot w/ a 9mm let alone anything else! My dad's cousin died when I was a kid by an accidental shotfrom a .22 rifle while he was coon hunting at night.
If a person was to legally shoot aperp threating their lifeusing a 9mm -and that person physically came after them AFTER being shot in the vitals -this does not mean the perp would not die later. They could harm or kill you before theywere no longer a threat to you. If you shoot a deer with a deer rifle in the vitals, it may still run for a distance before collapsing and then expire. If a person were to come after me they would have to be one of two things- either desperate and/or high on drugs. Shooting in a self defense situation is totally different than target shooting. Follow all the gun rules and regulations before and after IF you purchase a handgun. I STRONGLY suggest that you take the NRA Basic Pistol course (go the the NRA website for classes held in your area). If you know of a reputable person who is in LE that was trained well (not all are trained well but some are trained very well), ask them if they would be willing to teach you SD for a civilian situation. Other courses I would recommend are NRA Personal Safety Inside The Home and NRA Personal Safety Outside The Home. These SDcourses are not cheap; there are not that many instructors who are NRA certified for these courses (when compared to certified instructors forother NRA courses); and you will go through a lot of ammo. Don't take these NRASDcourses until you arepretty accurate in shooting - including double taps. For SD, I personallywould use +P HPin a9mm - BUT remember you need to be accurate in what you shoot (I would prefer a well placed shot with a standard pressure cartridge over a poor shot, or miss, with a +P or +P+ cartridge)- you may be better off with a standard pressure cartridge at this time for SD. I use FMJ for practice. DON'T use +P or +P+ unless your firearm is approved for their use. Do you have access or own a handgun in 22LR? If not, you may want to buy a 22LR before you buy a centerfire (work on correct shooting form and practice, practice, practice).
Old 01-17-2009, 07:03 PM

I certainlyhope the situation never comes up where I would have to shoot someone but I think for anyone who purchases a gun there is always that thought in the back of their mind. I just wondered why everyone advises against a 9mm for self defense. I thought a 9mm would be a good "starter" gun and one that I could still carry for self defense if I needed it but everyone I talk to keeps telling me to get a .40. I don't have alot of money and really cant afford to purchase one gun just to start out with and then buy another later on. I just recently lost my job and have a baby on the way so right now my options are limited. My father in law has a .22 revolver so I suppose I could practice shooting that for now.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

Under those circumstances, I think waiting is a good idea. As you said, you can practice with your father-in-laws 22. PM me if you want some tips on practicing for accuracy.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a freind that just finished police training and they said that the average heart shot takes 14 seconds to died giving plenty of time for an attacker to cover a short distance (say across a room) and get to you. The moral of the story shoot till they go down.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Apparently you havent shot any of the Taurus pistols or revolvers. And you probably dont realize that Taurus and S&W use the same frame work either. Think before you say something about a product. I own a Taurus and I have shot the PT 24/7Proand its a fine piece of workmanship. Smooth action low recoil and a a fun shooter.

ORIGINAL: statjunk

I would avoid it. Taurus is a junk company.

Search my other posts and you'll find out why.

Tom
Do a search before you accuse someone of not speaking from experience. Just because you own one and it works doesn't say a whole lot. They are junk and a junk company. When a pistol comes out of the factory and shoot 4' high and a couple of feet to the left thats crap. When they bend a 1.5" barrel instead of replacing it with a new one that is just plain stupid.

If you like your Taurus and trust your life to congrats. For my money I'm going to go with a reputable company. In the meantime I'm going to trash the hell out them because they took my $450 and sent it to the crapper.

What do you care anyway you live in a state that doesn't even allow you the right to carry concealed.

Tom
Old 01-20-2009, 02:56 PM

ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

I have a freind that just finished police training and they said that the average heart shot takes 14 seconds to died giving plenty of time for an attacker to cover a short distance (say across a room) and get to you. The moral of the story shoot till they go down.
My brother was an MP in the Army and he is deadly accurate with a pistol. Unfortunately he lives in Kansas and I live in Indiana so he cant really be here to help teach me how to shoot. If I were in the situation I don't think I would be firing just one round. Pretty sure I'dempty the whole clip!!! I play paintball alot and when you first start out and arent real good at shot placement you usually just empty the hopper on someone. So yeah I'd probably be that guy who cant shoot worth a crap so I'd be blastin away if some 7' 250lb dude jacked up on crack came running at me!