Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Will a bipod scratch my stock? >

Will a bipod scratch my stock?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Will a bipod scratch my stock?

Old 01-09-2009, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Will a bipod scratch my stock?

I don't mean to sound like a sissy whining about not wanting to scratch my pretty new gun but ITS SO FREAKIN' PRETTY.

OK lets get to the point I have a pretty new Vanguard and I want to put a bipod on it. I don't mind scratching a rifle as long as I'm huntingbecause if you use them it happens. So will a bipod scratch a wood stock?
Old 01-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Will a bipod scratch my stock?

i have a vanguard, its a custom build but the old factory stock got to lines across it from pressure from tightening the bipod, it had a synthetic stock, could take a few pictures if you need
Old 01-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Harris bi-pod that attaches to the sling stud. I mounted it to both my synthetic stock and my laminated stock and have no scratches. It has a piece of rubber that insulates the metal of the bi-pod from the wood.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have one of the Wal-Mart bipods and it also attaches to the from sling stud. There's a leather pad that's attached to the mounting surface of the bipod where it contacts the stock. When I remove it I can't even tell it was there...
Old 01-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you want to use a bipod and are concerned about scratching your stock you can always add some additional cushioning like moleskin on the foot of the bipod.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

About the only way a bipod will scratch your stock is if it has no pad between the metal and your stock, or far more likely, you either tighten it too much or too little, resulting in it being able to move/rattle around and rub the stock. If you're concerned, get some "moleskin" like bowhunters put on our bow risers on the part of bipod base that meets the stock. Just tighten it snug and I'm sure it'll be fine. You MIGHT want to consider switching to crossed shooting sticks. I switched to them years ago as they offer MUCH wider range of height adjustment, don't add weight to the rifle, fast to use wether from sitting, prone, or standing, and your rifle is still comfortable to carry, without bipod in the way when your rifle is slung. There's all kinds of shooting sticks on the market, surely you can find a set that works for you.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Harris bipods have two rubber strips to prevent scratching. But if you leave one on for a long time(years) you can get considerable fading(first hand experience on that one).

I also prefer the shooting cross sticks. I like the leather one that Buffalo Arms sells. Take a look at them. They are very fast, and extremely forgiving for terrain. And they are considerably sturdier than the longer attached bipods. Tom.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

The Harris bipods have two rubber strips to prevent scratching. But if you leave one on for a long time(years) you can get considerable fading(first hand experience on that one).

I also prefer the shooting cross sticks. I like the leather one that Buffalo Arms sells. Take a look at them. They are very fast, and extremely forgiving for terrain. And they are considerably sturdier than the longer attached bipods. Tom.
Have to agree. Harris are fine pods and work great in low profile versions. They do create a stock discoloration in the rifle (wood or syntheticstock) (not laminate) is use in the sunlight alot. And the cross sticks are much better if useing a standing position over a sitting or laying position. You did not mention what type of hunting you were doing?
Old 01-09-2009, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RugerMike

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

Have to agree. Harris are fine pods and work great in low profile versions. They do create a stock discoloration in the rifle (wood or syntheticstock) (not laminate) is use in the sunlight alot. And the cross sticks are much better if useing a standing position over a sitting or laying position. You did not mention what type of hunting you were doing?
The main reason I was looking at the bipod is to add a little extra weight, style,and stability for the range. I already have shooting sticks and they are what I use in the field deer hunting.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

The main reason I was looking at the bipod is to add a little extra weight, style,and stability for the range. I already have shooting sticks and they are what I use in the field deer hunting.
Weight...ok maybe for recoil absorbtion a little but the small amount of weight the bipod will add won't chnage felt recoil much at all.
Style...I guess to each thier won but when did range sessions start becoming a fashion show? []
Stability...that one I'll buy but if your using shooting stcks in the field when hunting, shouldn't you practice using the same equipment?

IMO, worrying about whatever indiscriminate marks a bipod will make on a stock, especially on a huning rifle is a bit over-worrisome. Then again, I guess it could effect that whole style" thing at the range.