Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How many rounds in a barrel's life?? >

How many rounds in a barrel's life??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How many rounds in a barrel's life??

Old 12-22-2008, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default How many rounds in a barrel's life??

How many rounds will a barrel last for in a 300 wsm ?

Are there any factors which affect this life cycle, either positively or negatively (aside from rapid, heat generating fire)?

Thanks for the time!
Old 12-22-2008, 06:55 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: How many rounds in a barrel's life??

If a person cleans properly with a boreguide, and protects the crown, easily 2500 rounds. I have a 300win mag that has that in it, and still shoots well.

Biggest factor is speed of the ammo. If you reload a 300WSM with 180gr bullets kicking at 3100fps, then its going to erode your throad.

I don't have data to prove it, but I believe the biggest factor is throat errosion is your load size. So with that said, I would say if a person only shot 200gr bullets instead of 150gr, I bet the one shot with 200gr bullets would last longer. Even though the 200gr has more bearing surface. The errosion is mostly caused by heat and pressure, they say.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's basically 3 factors that'll ruin or shorten a barrel's life. You've ruled out the 1st 1 of excessive heat, so that leaves crown damage from improper cleaning (ALWAYS better to clean from breech end and using jag instead of slotted tip), and lack of proper cleaning. Breaking the barrel in properly will result in easier to clean barrel, same as hand lapping bore. With proper care, you're barrel will still be around and shooting good longer than you will-unless you're planning on shooting untold thousands of shots, and even then it'll likely outlast you. If you have the money to shoot THAT MUCH, you'll have the money to rebarrel it several thousand shots later.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:08 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear
If you have the money to shoot THAT MUCH, you'll have the money to rebarrel it several thousand shots later.
Now, this is good advise.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Consider that not many casual hunters will shoot 125 boxes of ammo thru a .300 magnum of any kind. I would bet the average is much closer to 10 boxes in a lifetime.