Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Thumb hole stock vs. standard stock >

Thumb hole stock vs. standard stock

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Thumb hole stock vs. standard stock

Old 12-18-2007, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default Thumb hole stock vs. standard stock

I was wondering what your opinions are on thumbhole stocks. I have 2 rifles that I would love to get a thumbhole stock for: My T/C Encore and my Browning A-Bolt Varmit. I have held several rifles with thumbhole stocks and it just seems that it allows your hand to be in a much more natural angle while shooting. I've never owned one myself before.

Would anyone know the best place to find thumbhole stocks for these two rifles?
Old 12-18-2007, 01:01 PM

Default RE: Thumb hole stock vs. standard stock

I have a thumbhole stock on my CVA Optima and I think that it helps me tremendously. Now that I shoot the thumbhole, I have a hard time bringing myself to shoot a gun without one. It helps me to steady up alot I think.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:08 PM
Fork Horn

I love the thumbhole, it makes all shooting more comfortable and offhand shooting more sturdy. The only problem is the most comfortable way to carry it is with your thumb in the hole, and if a quick shot has to happen you have to maneuver your thumb around to the safety and then back to the hole or just leave it in a traditional non thumbhole stockposition. After a while though it becomes 2nd nature and it's a quick process. What works for me best is to walk with my thumb near the safety, instead of keeping it in the hole.

With all that said, I would opt for a thumbhole stock over a regular one on any day of the week.

www.rifle-stocks.com carries a lot of them and they are supposed to be 99% inletted now. When I built mine I wouldn't even call it 50% inletted. So if you don;t mind some work they are the place.

I will never endorse Boyd's, once they got some large contracts with Cabela's they basically quit caring about the small man. They screwed me over bad and we're given the option of righting it, or giving me my money back. They chose to refund me even after I stated I would rather have my stock in a timely manner and had planned on ordering 20-30 more that year. Unless it is already made and in their inventory expect a 6-9 month wait time (if you're lucky).

Old 12-18-2007, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hate thumbhole stocks. Don't like how they feel, how they function and especially don't like how they look.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:32 PM

i am eventually going to put a thumbhole on my .270. i love the control they provide.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:32 PM

I love shooting them, but wouldn't have them on a deer rifle just for the fact you can't shoot with your opposite hand if the situation arose where you might need to, ie, the deer not being where it's supposed to.

But they do reduce felt recoil and make it easier manage the gun, which I like.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Remington 870 SPS-T with the thumbhole stock that I use strictly for turkey hunting and I love it. It fits and feels perfect in my hand.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:34 PM
Typical Buck

i wouldn't put a thumbhole on a deer rifle,to slow on the second shot,but i really like the one i put on my 22-250 sav.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

I put a Boyds thumbhole on my 870 slug gun and absolutely love it (and I personally think it looks great). I don't find follow up shots any problem at all, and the crossbolt safety doesn't require any change in hand position.

I also have a synthetic thumbhole stock on my Knight Disc Extreme ML. I think it really helps, especially with the extra barrel weight hanging out there.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you like them then they work!!! TryH-s Precision, midway, brownells, and cabelas....

Quick Reply: Thumb hole stock vs. standard stock

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.