Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Shotgun question.... >

Shotgun question....

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shotgun question....

Old 12-18-2008, 08:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default Shotgun question....

I have a Mossberg 500 that has been retired to be the home defense gun. I usually load it with buckshot, or #4 and a few slugs in the end. I have a slug barrel on the gun now. my qestion is, is it okay to shoot buckshot or #4, #6 thru a slug barrel? the barrel is smooth and NOT rifled.

I am no shotgun expert, but i do have a "shot" barrel but prefer the slug barrel for better handling due to it being shorter. Just want to make sure i wouldn't destroy the gun or hurt myself shooting "shot" out ofa slug barrel. Any opinions on this?
Old 12-18-2008, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shotgun question....

Nope it wont hurt it at all. You said the slug barrel isn't rifled so the only difference between your bird barrel and your slug barrel (other than length) is thatyour bird barrel is likely threaded choke tube and doesn't have rifled sights. Even if the slug barrel was rifled i don't think shooting shot or buckshot in it is necessarily bad for it, just will not pattern worth a damn.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's fine to do that. For across-the-room shooting it will be great in fact. Once you get to 20 yds or so, that cylinder bore will give a very wide pattern.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

What everyone else says, won't hurt a thing. I have a old smooth bore barrel I cut down to 18.5 inches and put on my 500 with pistol grips. I also have the wood and a rifled deer barrel to switch it back when I want.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

the guys are right here but consider this.....if the gun is reserved for self defense (we're talking probably 0.0 rounds fired in it's lifetime and maybe 10 at the very most).....do you really care?????

load it up and use it only if necessary!
Old 12-21-2008, 07:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Vapodog

the guys are right here but consider this.....if the gun is reserved for self defense (we're talking probably 0.0 rounds fired in it's lifetime and maybe 10 at the very most).....do you really care?????

load it up and use it only if necessary!

IMHO that's the gun that needs to be shot the most... there needs to be the utmost familiarity with the defense gun. When the SHTF you really need to be able to function with that gun no matter what.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

JMHO,But I would put the full length stock back on it.Try to find a 20 or 22" barrel with open sights.add the swat mag ext.Maybe a light.Better handling easier to hit with.I outfitted a 870 that way fill it up with #4 buck .I got 10 in it and 10 on it.That should take care of business.