Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Sighting in a pistol >

Sighting in a pistol

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sighting in a pistol

Old 12-15-2008, 06:48 AM

Default Sighting in a pistol

This might sound like a dumb question, but I dont have too much experience with pistols...here's the story.

We were sighting in guns and my wife put her .25 semi auto (cant remember model) on the tire of my truck. I didnt know she put it there (still dont know why she put it there)and I backed up and ran over it. Now it won't shoot worth a damn (about 12"-18" to right at like 10 yards). Any idea what might have happened to it? I'd like to fix it so she can actually use it again, if possible. It has fixed sights, so nothing moved in that respect that I know of. It almost shoots too far off to file the sight to realign everything. Suggestions??

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:17 AM
Spike

Default RE: Sighting in a pistol

Sounds to me like something is bent or possibly broken. Have you taken it appart to inspect all the parts? If you can't see anything obvious, you may want to check everything with a straight edge to see if something has a slight bend in it. If you can't find anything you should take it to a gun smith to have it checked by a pro before you shoot it any more. IMHO, it's not worth the risk.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:04 PM
Site Bouncer

Yep, sounds like a bent barrel or slide, either way if it's no longer shooting straight like it used to and the sights are fixed, then something is wrong and you should bring it in to be checked by a gun smith. It might be simple but then again it might be serious and continuing to shoot it may be hazardous.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: double_lung

This might sound like a dumb question, but I dont have too much experience with pistols...here's the story.

We were sighting in guns and my wife put her .25 semi auto (cant remember model) on the tire of my truck. I didnt know she put it there (still dont know why she put it there)and I backed up and ran over it. Now it won't shoot worth a damn (about 12"-18" to right at like 10 yards). Any idea what might have happened to it? I'd like to fix it so she can actually use it again, if possible. It has fixed sights, so nothing moved in that respect that I know of. It almost shoots too far off to file the sight to realign everything. Suggestions??

Thanks in advance.
Sounds like the barrel was either bent or hadthe muzzle crown damaged. But could be the sights were also affected.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are the "fixed" sights dovetailed into the slide or milled as part of the slide? If they are dovetailed in, like most semi-auto pistols, it could be that the rear sight got pushed over when you rolled over it. But the best thing to do is to take it to a gunsmith to have it checked out.

Mike

Old 12-16-2008, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd be willing to bet the "fixed" sites are built into the slide as with most .25s, also most of them (except baby browning & clones) have fixed stationary barrels. It sounds like the barrel itself or the frame where barrel is mounted os bent/broke, but impossible to know for sure without inspecting the gun personally. Regardless-DON'T SHOOT IT AGAIN until a gunsmith checks it out. No offence but I'm SERIOUSLY wondering why it's even worth fooling with as #1-most .25s aren't made to extremely high standards of manufacture or materials, and #2-IMO you're doing your wife an major disservice by having her rely on what is very likely the poorest cartridge ever designed for defensive purposes. Personally, I'm of the opinion you should get your wife a better firearm for defense before she actulaay has to shoot somebody, thus REALLY pissing them off. Again-sorry, just MY opinion. Neil
Old 12-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know you said you don't like .25's but what do you think of the Baby Brownings? Not the round but the quality of the guns themselves. More just for target shooting not for a carry gun. Are they decent guns?
Old 12-16-2008, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah the quality of the original baby brownings is great. I still wouldn't use them for plinking however since .22 ammo is MUCH cheaper, and the design itself of being tiny pocket gun don't lend well for accuracy. But then, ANY gun is more fun to shoot than none, so if youalready have 1, enjoy shooting it. Perhaps I'm too critical of them but I view tiny lil guns like that as "Jesus guns". That means that by the time I have to pull & shoot it, I've already been disarmed of primary defense gun and it's last ditch, last effort gun that when I use it, it'll either help me win the fistfight that follows, or SOMEBODY'S going to meet jesus!
Old 12-16-2008, 11:26 AM

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

I'd be willing to bet the "fixed" sites are built into the slide as with most .25s, also most of them (except baby browning & clones) have fixed stationary barrels. It sounds like the barrel itself or the frame where barrel is mounted os bent/broke, but impossible to know for sure without inspecting the gun personally. Regardless-DON'T SHOOT IT AGAIN until a gunsmith checks it out. No offence but I'm SERIOUSLY wondering why it's even worth fooling with as #1-most .25s aren't made to extremely high standards of manufacture or materials, and #2-IMO you're doing your wife an major disservice by having her rely on what is very likely the poorest cartridge ever designed for defensive purposes. Personally, I'm of the opinion you should get your wife a better firearm for defense before she actulaay has to shoot somebody, thus REALLY pissing them off. Again-sorry, just MY opinion. Neil
None taken, considering the fact that this isnt her "self defense gun". The.44 mag super blackhawk, orsawed off 12 gauge should work just fine. And yes, she can shoot them. The sights are built in. I havent shot it since, havent had the time to take it apart yet either. Relatively speaking, you're right, it probably isn't worth fixing to use as a method of self defense. Thats not why I want to fix it for her. She has had it for a long time and I just want to get it shooting again. Probably end up taking it to a gunsmith if I can't figure anything out when I take it apart. Am also looking into a reliable 9mm, without going overboard on the price. Have any suggestions for one of these?
Old 12-16-2008, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Without knowing what size and preferred action type you want-the very 1st pistol that comes to mind is the almost indestructible springfield armory XD. Order a wolff reduced pull weight spring kit from Brownells, install it, and call it good! If you want the link for wolff spring kit for this pistol, here it is.Just checked and it's actually tactical technologies instead of wolff. http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=26974&title=SPRINGFIELD%2 0XD/XD-M%20TRIGGER%20SPRING%20KIT