Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Sighting in...Need HELP!!! >

Sighting in...Need HELP!!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sighting in...Need HELP!!!

Old 09-19-2003, 09:37 AM

Default Sighting in...Need HELP!!!

In preparation for my upcoming elk hunt, I took my Rem 710 270 out to sight it in. I started off at 100 yrds with Remington 150gr. Corelokts, got a VERY tight group(one ragged hole in the paper). Moved back to 200yrds and was still getting a tight group. Switched over to the Federal Premium HE bearclaws that I' m gonna use on the hunt. I went from a group to a pattern. I was all over the paper. I got discouraged and gave up for the day(had a hurricane coming and needed to finish getting ready for that too). The Federal has a lot more kick to it than the Remington, I' m thinking that maybe since my shoulder was starting to get sore that I was flinching. I was shooting from a bench rest. Should I give the shoulder a couple of days to stop aching and try again? There shouldn' t be that much differance between the ammos should there? It' s a little discouraging to go from a tight group to a big ole pattern. Please help!
Old 09-19-2003, 09:59 AM

Default RE: Sighting in...Need HELP!!!

after a few rounds,recoil, heated barrel and frustation start adding to my inconsistencies.if not any of the latter,it could be that your gun just doesn' t like the federals.just curious,why not shoot the rem corlokt?i have used them for over 30 years with good success.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:08 AM

The main reason I switched to the federals is I wanted a little more energy downrange than the rems had. There were 3 of us sighting in our rifles at the same time. I' d shoot 3, the next guy would shoot 3, the last guy would shoot 3, and both of them were also sighting in their blackpowders so they' d both shoot one each in those. Then we' d walk down to check the targets. The barrel should have had enough time to cool down by then, so I don' t think that a hot barrel is the culprit. The only other thing I can think of is I wasn' t cleaning the barrel.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:15 AM

Stick with what your gun likes. The Remington ammo will do the job. Or, try other brands of ammo. Energy doesn' t mean nearly as much as bullet placement.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

This heap simple, You gun, him like Rem. ammo, NO LIKE Federal! Use' um Remington![&:]
Old 09-19-2003, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nicely put.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you can find someone to reload for you you can have the best of both worlds. If you want a better bullet than a " core-lokt" (and many folks here will say that you don' t need one) reloading is the answer.

There' s a lot of bonded and partician bullets to try out. A canister of RL22 will propel them all. IMR4831 is also a good powder for the .270

Good luck on that elk hunt.

Old 09-19-2003, 12:54 PM

4x4,
Yes there can be that much difference between the ammo.

Like the other guys said your rifle does not like the bear claws.

Try the 150gr Partitions. Good elk bullet, usually shoot reasonably well in any rifle.
Remember elk are a very large target so you don' t have to have 1" or better groups.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:34 PM

Remember elk are a very large target so you don' t have to have 1" or better groups
But also remember, the .270 is a lightest caliber most would use on Elk. So you better be able to put the bullet into the boiler room, no matter what.
Old 09-20-2003, 12:38 AM

I never liked factory loads... To many inconsistancies.... Now I load my own and am getting the proformance that I want....[:-][:-][:-]

Good Luck & Happy Hunting

Quick Reply: Sighting in...Need HELP!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.