Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Scout style setup? >

Scout style setup?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scout style setup?

Old 12-11-2008, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scout style setup?

I'm curious how folks using such guns like them and what your setup is as far as sights go.They look like they would be real nice for still hunting or tracking deer in the thick cover here in the Adirondack area.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:55 AM

Default RE: Scout style setup?

Personally i love having a scout scope on a rifle. I have a ruger frontier rifle and i have a burris 2x7 handgun posi-lock scope on it. I love how it handles. when sighting in a new load i will use the 7 magnification but when im hunting with it i will usually carry it on a 2.75 or 3 power. According to Colonel Cooper, he says a shooter doesnt need anything more than a 3 power on a scout scope. I love the scout setup. to me the advantages outweigh any disadvantage.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wjyarkiell

Personally i love having a scout scope on a rifle. I have a ruger frontier rifle and i have a burris 2x7 handgun posi-lock scope on it. I love how it handles. when sighting in a new load i will use the 7 magnification but when im hunting with it i will usually carry it on a 2.75 or 3 power. According to Colonel Cooper, he says a shooter doesnt need anything more than a 3 power on a scout scope. I love the scout setup. to me the advantages outweigh any disadvantage.
Its funny how different people's opinions can be about the same thing I had the same ruger and scope combo a couple years back and hated it! I found the handgun scope aggravating. Its supposed to give you faster target acquisition, but I found it harder to get the sight picture lined up in the scope right, it was like looking through a 1" copper pipe that was 12"s from my face, sorta like tunnel vision. Got very low velocity too from the 16" barrel and the report was deafening. The only thing I liked was that the short barrel was handy in the thick stuff but still felt front heavy to me. This year I got a remington 700 mtlss w/ a Leupold VXIII 2.5-8 ,and it carrys like a dream at about 7lbs, with the scope mounted. The barell is a full 22" but w/ the short action ,it was still pretty handy in the brush and the scope is awsome! The rifle and sight picture come to my shoulder and eye almost simultaniously. I walked alot up and down some pretty rough terrain this season and I hardly noticed I was carring the rifle. I LOVE IT!!! I just wish I could have got a deer w/ it. In short, I am personally not a fan of the "scout rifle" but to each his own.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys!Gotta do some more research on this one.I'm also considering having the barrel on my old Ruger M77 cut down to 18 1/2" re-crowned and shortening the stock a bit.Maybe try a Red Dot scope or put the 1-4 Leupold back on to.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:41 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

Those long eye relief scopes will cost you hunting time because they don't work as well in low light. You'll lose at least 15 minutes of hunting light at the start and ending of each day, times when animals are often moving. No thanks.